Help Setting White Point through NVIDIA Control Panel

Home Forums Help and Support Help Setting White Point through NVIDIA Control Panel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mayhewrb SourceForge

Hello,

I’m new to the software and am struggling to complete even a simple calibration. I am using a laptop, Lenovo W510, and can find no way to complete the first portion of calibration – setting the white point. As far as I can tell, the way to do this in a laptop is via the video card, in this case a NVIDIA Duadro FX 880M. However, when I open the control panel and make changes to the RGB values during calibration, the screen resets to the native coor profile before my colorimeter (Spyder5) can register any changes to the screen. Has any one else had a similar problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks,
    Rob

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I am using a laptop, Lenovo W510, and can find no way to complete the first portion of calibration – setting the white point

It’s not possible. You have to skip this part of interactive adjustment.

nolo2016 SourceForge

Sorry Florian, but that is not true.
    You can adjust the white balance at the interactive adjustment if you have an Intel Onboard graphics card for example.
    The color settings in the Intel graphic card menu are not connected to an ICC profile.
    You just need to adjust the “Contrast” Setting of RGB to get them identical at 6500K.
    Dispcal in this case wont reset the value like it is the case when you use the internal Windows calibration feature for example, which is indeed connected to a ICC profile.
    With this method I created a very nice 3D LUT without a distorted white point 🙂

nolo2016 SourceForge

Also I forgot to mention, that most Notebooks with a Nvidia graphic card and Intel Cpu mostly have the mentioned Intel Onboard Graphic.
    If not I can imagine, that setting the RGB values is also possible in the Nvidia Control Center the same way, because those graphic card settings wont create an ICC profile and work totally fine with Dispcalgui.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

invisible123 SourceForge

Dennis,

I was wondering if the Intel graphics card menu was messing up my calibration. I’ve tried leaving it on the defualt values and get really bad results after calibration. I have the same kind of setup with an Intel graphics and Nvidia card. Did you adjust the brightness and gamma of the RGB values or just the contrast durring your calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

[…] setting the RGB values is also possible in the Nvidia Control Center the same way, because those graphic card settings wont create an ICC profile and work totally fine with Dispcalgui.

This has nothing to do with ICC profiles. If you change the graphics card videoLUT in one program, and then do the same with the next program, it will overwrite the changes to the videoLUT you made previously.

nolo2016 SourceForge

@ psd

You only need to set the contrast values (which are the gains of R,G,B) to calibrate the whitepoint before profiling and creating the final LUT.
    Don’t touch the other settings like gamma and brightness etc., this is work of the LUT.
    And don’t use positive contrast values, only negative, otherwise it will result in bad color clipping.

@ Florian

I know, that it does not have to do anything with ICC profiles, that’s why I wrote that the settings do not create one and also don’t touch the videoLUT, that’s the good thing behind the whole story.

Also the LUT does not overwrite anything, believe me.
    I get the same clean D65 whitepoint after I created a 3D-LUT like before when only adjusting it with the RGB contrast settings in the Intel or also Nvidia color settings menu.

If the LUT were overwriting the settings, then the whitepoint would be distorted with a reddish, bluish or greenish hue because it’s trying to correct it and though introducing bad clipping, like it’s normally the case when you create a LUT on a notebook display – due to the missing “hardware” RGB Gain settings.

But this does not happen, the whitepoint stays perfectly at those calibrated pre profiling values at D65 (without hue shifts) when using the 3D-LUT (media player classic hc + madvr). That’s the proof for me, that nothing gets overwritten.

Also proof is, that when I create a 3D-LUT using madvr as the display in dispcalgui (for calculating the triplet patterns), I always check that the buttons “disable VideoLUTs” and “disable 3dlut” are enabled – and though the whitepoint remains at the pre calibrated D65 setting.

This means, that the settings in the graphic card control panel are not touching the videoLUT and are completely independent.

In fact they work similar like the “hardware” RGB Gain settings of a TV and allow to create the same nice LUT with a clean D65 whitepoint on a notebook.

BTW, I also always check the finished 3D-LUT with the chromapure calibration software measuring whitepoint / greyscale, 25,50,75,100 saturation points of the primaries and secondaries and also color checker patterns in media player classic hc with the madvr calibration LUT running in the background.
    It not only measures nearly perfect with a maximum dE of 0.92, it also looks perfect to the eye.

I’m using an i1 Display 3 colorimeter and a colormunki photo spectrometer to profile it against, which is mostly case when I have to calibrate an exotic screen like the last from an ASUS NX500 notebook which has the new Quantum Dot filter inside.
    Best screen I’ve ever seen on a Notebook BTW, it can reach Adobe RGB Gamut and beyond 🙂

At the attached pictures you can see how the settings menus look with a Nvidia and Intel graphics card.
    If you have access to a Notebook or a desktop PC with Intel Onboard or discrete Nvidia graphics card in combination with a windows OS, please try it yourself, you will see that it works exactly as I verified it.

• This reply was modified on 2016-01-20 10:20:40 by nolo2016.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Allan
    Participant

Also I forgot to mention, that most Notebooks with a Nvidia graphic card and Intel Cpu mostly have the mentioned Intel Onboard Graphic.
    If not I can imagine, that setting the RGB values is also possible in the Nvidia Control Center the same way, because those graphic card settings wont create an ICC profile and work totally fine with Dispcalgui.

Hi! I have a similar problem where I cant adjust the hardware RGB gain in my monitor. When I go to the nvidia control panel and pick each individual color channel, which control bar should I tweak to ge the RGB gain effect? Brightness, Gamma or Contrast?

Second question is, should I even bother trying to manually match the white point like this or should I leave everything to displaycal’s profiling? Im not sure if it has the power to fix the white point without the manual input (hardware or through nvidia).

thanks!!

Patrick1978
    Participant

As Florian already said the color controls in the Nvidia/Intel/Amd graphics control panels do all of their adjustments (Brightness, Contrast, Gamma) via the video card lookup table (vlut) which is also what DisplayCal uses to do it’s calibration.

This isn’t an additive process, DisplayCal resets the vlut before doing it’s calibration wiping out anything you’ve done in the control panel.

So if you are on a laptop or have a display with no RGB gain controls, skip the interactive adjustment and let DisplayCal handle the calibration entirely via the vlut.

For proof that this is the case all you need to do is have DisplayCal’s Profile Loader running with a profile set (that contains calibration curves).  Now try to change any of the color controls in Nvida’s/Intel’s/Amd’s control panel and watch as any changes you make get reverted in a couple seconds when the profile loader overwrites the vlut with the calibration curves that are in the profile you have loaded.

Patrick1978
    Participant

Sure looks like the Nvidia contrast control is changing the vlut to me

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Allan
    Participant

Sure looks like the Nvidia contrast control is changing the vlut to me

Thank you for your answers. I’ll ignore the RGB gain then!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS