Help please: DisplayCal freezing right at the end of the process

Home Forums Help and Support Help please: DisplayCal freezing right at the end of the process

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nezih Savaskan
    Participant

Hello everyone,

First time poster here.  I haven’t found anything which specifically helps me with my issue via extensive Googling (including results which led to threads on here). Apologies however if this is a common issue with a common solution.

I’m trying to use DisplayCal with my iDisplay i1 to calibrate a SmallHD 502 monitor. But every time (after a 2-3 hours) it gets to the end of the process it just seems to hang and get stuck there for hours (I left it for 2 hours and nothing happened).

My workflow is as follows:

• I have the latest version of DisplayCal and Argyll CMS installed
    • I connect my iDisplay i1 to my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM)
    • I connect my SmallHD 502 to my iMac via a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor (iMac > Thunderbolt > UltraStudio > SDI > SmallHD 502)
    • I generate a null 3D LUT with Davinci Resolve, and load this onto my SmallHD 502. I select rec709 D65.
    • I leave the monitor to warm up for 30 minutes with the i1 resting on it
    • I set up Display Cal with the following settings: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XshRgcKPMhJGP2lznVFHMHx1YvR7ssm8?usp=sharing
    • I click “Calibrate & Profile”. It generates an IP address. I then go to Davinci Resolve and select “SpectraCal CalMAN” (it’s either this or “LightSpace” which didn’t appear to work), and enter the IP address.
    • I go through the first steps (tweaking the monitor’s settings until the RGB and Contrast meters line up).
    • I proceed with the calibration. I switch so Resolve is in the foreground (it stops sending a picture to the monitor if it isn’t).
    • The process seems to churn through as expected… I see the patches change on the monitor. Flicking momentarily back to DisplayCal I see the progress bar going up.

All seems well and good… until it gets to the very end of the process…. then it just hangs. It gets stuck on this stage. I’ve tried several times, including with fewer patches, and it gets stuck here – for hours. I have to cancel, and I just loose everything I’ve done!

What’s going on? Can anyone help please? Thank you!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

please follow the Resolve guide in the Wiki.

LuckyX2
    Participant

I’d just like to add I’m also seeing a freeze at the end. Specifically at the portion where it generates the cLUT.

What is interesting is I was able to generate profiles before fine. I made one for my TV, one for MadVR, one for my monitor but then realized I wanted to calibrate at a bit lower white level on my monitor. Deleted the old profile, and haven’t been able to generate a new one since. Even uninstalled and reinstalled.  FYI I am using the D65/1886 settings with patches increased. I’ve tried between 833 and 2060 and they all freeze.

I am on the newest version, 3.8.3 and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Deleted the %appdata% dir when I uninstalled as well.

Thanks for any feedback.

LuckyX2
    Participant

Update: Just ran with only 175 patches and it completed fine… Trying again with a higher patch count.

LuckyX2
    Participant

Hmmm, it worked this time with 833 patches. I think it may have been my latest driver install? Only thing I changed between working and not working was I changed color control back over to Nvidia RGB Full in the control panel. It went back to “use default color settings” after the latest driver update.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS