Help on calibrating my MSI MAG274QRF-QD

Home Forums Help and Support Help on calibrating my MSI MAG274QRF-QD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

NRANM
    Participant

Hello,

First and foremost, please keep in mind that I’m extremely new to this so please forgive any errors I make when describing my issue.

I’m not sure I’ve calibrated my monitor correctly, and I would appreciate some advice. I’m using a Calibrite ColorChecker Display device. I reset my monitor to its factory settings, then switched from “Premium Color” to “User”. In DisplayCAL, I selected the “sRGB” settings, and for correction I used the “LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family” profile. During measurement, I was of course asked to tweak my color settings to match what DisplayCAL is expecting. The problem is that as soon as I select “Customization” for color temperature, the entire screen becomes significantly dimmer, even though the brightness slider remained at the same position. Even at maximum brightness, the screen was still dimmer than when using any of the other, pre-defined color temperature settings. I did manage to achieve the desired brightness by DisplayCAL by increasing the monitor’s brightness to 100, and also increasing the contrast from 70 to 80.
    After the calibration was complete, I used the novideo_srgb tool for NVIDIA graphics cards to clamp the gamut to sRGB based on the ICC profile created.

Here are my questions…
    Since I want a standard gamut, not a wide one,  was I correct to use the sRGB settings in DisplayCAL?
    What would you guess would be a better approach: the described above with using novideo_srgb, or to clamp the gamut in the monitor’s settings, calibrate that, and keep using the monitor’s option?
    I’ve seen advice to set the monitor to the desired overall brightness, and then calibrate to that, however, in my case that would be noticeably below what DisplayCAL requires at the beginning of the calibration. So, should I calibrate first, then tone down brightness, or set brightness first, and then calibrate?
    Any idea if this behavior of my monitor (to significantly dim the picture during color customization) is normal? To me, this seems like a firmware bug of some kind.

I just worry that I may not have made as good of a calibration as possible, so I would appreciate guidance.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

The problem is that as soon as I select “Customization” for color temperature, the entire screen becomes significantly dimmer, even though the brightness slider remained at the same position. Even at maximum brightness, the screen was still dimmer than when using any of the other, pre-defined color temperature settings. I did manage to achieve the desired brightness by DisplayCAL by increasing the monitor’s brightness to 100, and also increasing the contrast from 70 to 80.

some HDR settng on Windows? (even if it’s fake HDR)

Here are my questions…
    Since I want a standard gamut, not a wide one,  was I correct to use the sRGB settings in DisplayCAL?

NO. DIsplayCAL or any pther GPU calibration corrects white and grey… and that’s all. You selecting sRGB chose sRGB TRC not SRGB colorspace. Better to aim to 2.2 since it will be closer to default display TRC.

What would you guess would be a better approach: the described above with using novideo_srgb, or to clamp the gamut in the monitor’s settings, calibrate that, and keep using the monitor’s option?

Does factory calibration present in Display allow custom RGB whitepoint? How far is native whietpoint  sRGB preset in monitor from D65?
    Does factory sRGB calibration in monitor match sRGB primaries correctly?

Test this and you’ll get an answer.

I’ve seen advice to set the monitor to the desired overall brightness, and then calibrate to that, however, in my case that would be noticeably below what DisplayCAL requires at the beginning of the calibration. So, should I calibrate first, then tone down brightness, or set brightness first, and then calibrate?

Aim for native/as measured white level. Then set the cd/m2 you want manually while tweaking  RGB gains fro white point

Any idea if this behavior of my monitor (to significantly dim the picture during color customization) is normal? To me, this seems like a firmware bug of some kind.

I just worry that I may not have made as good of a calibration as possible, so I would appreciate guidance.

as said before check that windows (or monitor) is not enabling some HDR settings. Also use the black point icon while in RGB gain tweaking to measure contrast. I mean Id the dimming real (brightnes) or is it done at the expense of contrast?

NRANM
    Participant

I checked, no HDR was enabled at any point.

Does factory calibration present in Display allow custom RGB whitepoint? How far is native whietpoint  sRGB preset in monitor from D65?

I’m not sure about the first question. The monitor does have individual sliders for RGB.
    Regarding the second and third questions, I don’t know how to determine that.

Aim for native/as measured white level. Then set the cd/m2 you want manually while tweaking  RGB gains fro white point

This went over my head. I would need more information. If necessary, you can point me to an already written guide or video explaining this process.

I also found out why the monitor becomes dim. When I select the “Customization” option, all RGB values drop ato 50. I (mistakenly) assumed that is where there should be normally, i.e. the baseline. However, when I ramp them all up to 100, not only does the monitor restore its original brightness (I’m not really sure “brightness” is proper term for this, maybe luminescence?), but DisplayCAL was actually happy with the RGB measurements, and gave me the checkmark of approval.

Vincent
    Participant

I checked, no HDR was enabled at any point.

I’m not sure about the first question. The monitor does have individual sliders for RGB.

Usually RGB gains are only available on “custom/user” mode (native gamut). Usually.

sRGB factory calibratd OSD mode is locked regarding gains, only brightness slider.

So, how is yours?

Regarding the second and third questions, I don’t know how to determine that.

Just measure white & primaries. Easiest way is tools report report on uncalibrated display.

This went over my head. I would need more information. If necessary, you can point me to an already written guide or video explaining this process.

Just set white level “as measured” in DisplayCAL  and ignore it. Set the brightness value you want while you play with RGB gains

I also found out why the monitor becomes dim. When I select the “Customization” option, all RGB values drop ato 50. I (mistakenly) assumed that is where there should be normally, i.e. the baseline. However, when I ramp them all up to 100, not only does the monitor restore its original brightness (I’m not really sure “brightness” is proper term for this, maybe luminescence?), but DisplayCAL was actually happy with the RGB measurements, and gave me the checkmark of approval.

NRANM
    Participant

Usually RGB gains are only available on “custom/user” mode (native gamut). Usually.

sRGB factory calibratd OSD mode is locked regarding gains, only brightness slider.

So, how is yours?

That’s exactly how the monitor behaves.

Just measure white & primaries. Easiest way is tools report report on uncalibrated display.

I realized that I cannot “clamp to sRGB from the monitor settings, and then calibrate” because as soon as I customize the RGB values, the monitor releases the clamp, and returns no native gamut. So if I want the monitor to be calibrated and use standard gamut (wide gamut kind of hurts my eyes with its intense saturation), I would need to calibrate at native gamut, then clamp to sRGB using novideo_srgb.

Vincent
    Participant

So, how is yours?

That’s exactly how the monitor behaves.

I realized that I cannot “clamp to sRGB from the monitor settings, and then calibrate” because as soon as I customize the RGB values, the monitor releases the clamp, and returns no native gamut.

Don’t do it. If sRGB mode has locked RGB gain controls don’t go to custom/user OSD mode, let DisplayCAL correct it for you in GPU LUTs (at the expense of some contrast depending on how far the whites are).
    = when the RGB bars how up, ignore them and stay in sRGB OSD mode of your monitor, click continue and let DisplayCAL correct white like any other grey.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Vincent.

NRANM
    Participant

Based on your reply I’m getting the idea that clamping the monitor to sRGB and then calibrating is preferable to calibrating at its native gamut, and then clamping down with software. Is that correct?

Vincent
    Participant

Depends on GPU, how bad is gamma & grey and how far is whitepoint from your target. A few examples:

Let’s say that you have a nvidia and that in custom color mode (native) after fixing white gamma is ~2.2 and grey is very neutral (grey range, combined a*b* range in HTML reports). Using novideo_sRGB to perform a lut-matrix-lut should give you very good results without banding… while correcting a bad whitepoint and bad grey in sRGB mode may result in banding.
    On an AMD GPU on that sRGB mode correcting white should result in no banding (as long as Windows calibration loader doe not kick in like in returning from standby).
    Also if you correct both of them in DWMLUT you should have no banding even on intel GPU and since it’s a LUT3D additional “3d volume correction” can be performed.

So it depends on what do you need to correct and what HW do you own.

NRANM
    Participant

So, since the sRGB clamp in the monitor locks the RGB controls, I cannot correct the white point, so this means I need to use its factory white point in that mode, and if it isn’t sufficiently accurate, calibrating it may actually produce worse results than the alternative using novideo_srgb?

Have I understood the situation correctly? Again, I’m extremely new to this stuff.

Vincent
    Participant

So, since the sRGB clamp in the monitor locks the RGB controls, I cannot correct the white point, so this means I need to use its factory white point in that mode, and if it isn’t sufficiently accurate, calibrating it may actually produce worse results than the alternative using novideo_srgb?

Depends on HW as in my examples.

Run a measurement report on both modes:
    -sRGB mode vs sRGB profile as display profile
    -user mode after tunning RGB gains to D65 vs factory/EDID profile, the ICM installed with monitor driver or a profile generated from EDID, (or a synth profile with your native RGB primaries, D65 and whetever nominal gamma you want).

Check contrast, assumed vs measured and grey range (grey a*b* deviations to white color). This will give you a hint.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS