Help getting monitors to match

Home Forums Help and Support Help getting monitors to match

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Danyn
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m no professional. Just a gamer that bought some nice monitors and would like for them to match. I’m using an x-rite i1 Display Pro and I know that the FAQ says that I’ll have to eyeball it to get them to match but I’m having some difficulties doing that.

To preface, I ran DisplayCal on both monitors with the Settings set to Default (Gamma 2.2). I left everything else as is and ran it on both monitors. After adjusting to get 6500k whitepoint and 120cd/m, I started the profiling and created profiles for each monitor. I applied the profiles and noticed that one of the monitors is a little warmer than the other. At this point, I read the FAQ and attempted to match them by eye but no matter what I do, I just can’t seem to get them to match. Obviously I’m very inexperienced with this so maybe I’m just not adjusting the RGB properly. Is there a specific way to do this or do I have to keep messing with the numbers?

My monitors are Asus PG279Q. I’m also not too familiar with the jargon so if you could do your best to explain it in layman terms, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Obtaining a visual match can be tricky, especially since it’s often tricky to really view two monitors at the same time physically (you probably have to take several steps back, and even then viewing angle related effects may make the endeavor harder than it ought to be). There’s a few things that may help though:

• Put the two monitors as close together as possible physically
    • Don’t try to match full white, instead, use a light gray using the sliders, and first equalize apparent luminance with them, and only after that try to match hue and saturation
    • Use hue and saturation controls instead of the color wheel for more fine-grained control

Danyn
    Participant

What’s the ideal process to do this? Calibrate both monitors, apply new profiles, and then fine tune with hue and saturation?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Assuming both were already calibrated, pick one as reference, and stick with that choice. Then fine tune the other to match, and (re-)calibrate/profile it with the new fine-tuned whitepoint set as calibration target.

Danyn
    Participant

So after picking one monitor as a reference, I want to fine tune with hue and saturation settings? I’m a little confused by what you mean when you say to recalibrate it with the new whitepoint to match. I’m guessing the whitepoint will change after fine-tuning and I want to recalibrate/profile it to match the whitepoint?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m a little confused by what you mean when you say to recalibrate it with the new whitepoint to match.

After you’ve achieved a visual match using the visual whitepoint editor, you measure the white to set it as calibration target. Then, you calibrate & profile normally with that target.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS