Help copying factory profile

Home Forums General Discussion Help copying factory profile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a lenovo p32u, which comes factory calibrated in the “adobe RGB” setting – but NOT in the “custom” setting (which has a larger color gamut).  I’m not sure what the issue is – but running a calibration with i1display pro on the custom setting is just not achieving as accurate of results as the factory calibration (the profile validation comes back fine – but its obviously wrong when compared to the factory calibration, another calibrated monitor, and to my eyes).  I think the issue is likely the correction – but who knows.  In any event, I’m wondering if there’s any way to use display cal to basically copy the factory calibration in “adobe RGB” mode so that I can apply it to the “custom” mode – since the “custom” mode has a larger native gamut.

Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Can anyone help with this?

If I can’t copy over the factory calibration – is there any way to adjust either the calibration or spectral correction to fix the issues im having?  Most everything looks good with the calibration except I’m getting a very strong green tint on blues that have any  hint of green in them (also a green tint in the grey scale but less substantial).    I’m thinking the backlight has a spike of green emission that isn’t accounted for in the correction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a lenovo p32u, which comes factory calibrated in the “adobe RGB” setting – but NOT in the “custom” setting (which has a larger color gamut).  I’m not sure what the issue is – but running a calibration with i1display pro on the custom setting is just not achieving as accurate of results as the factory calibration (the profile validation comes back fine – but its obviously wrong when compared to the factory calibration, another calibrated monitor, and to my eyes).  I think the issue is likely the correction – but who knows.  In any event, I’m wondering if there’s any way to use display cal to basically copy the factory calibration in “adobe RGB” mode so that I can apply it to the “custom” mode – since the “custom” mode has a larger native gamut.

Thanks!

More likely to be caused by non color managed software. Anyway, from WRONGLY MADE CCSS in displaycal colorimeter database (AdobeRGB emulation, not native) it looks like P32u is a “photo” WLED PFS, so use HP Z24x G2 correction (WLED PFS) if you own an i1d3 colorimeter. It is bundled in DisplayCAL.
    If using xrite spectrophotometer, make sure you use 3nm high red mode.
    SpyderX should have “some” WLED PFS mode of unknown flavor (1 from the 3 known).

Vincent
    Participant

BTW it’s not factory profile, it’s factory calibration. The more simple is a lut matrix lut calibration both grey and emulating AdobeRGB as a mixture of native red, green and blue as you can see in spectral power distribution of “wrong” CCSS correction in displaycal colorimeter correction database.

If you actually want to restrict gamut to AdobeRGB (mostly useless since AdobeRGB content is 99.999% meant to be viewed in color managed enviroments) use OSD saturation controls and lower R, Y, M saturation values. DisplayCAL cousin, HCFR tool can help you here since it’s easy to do. You can do it with argyllcms commandline but less user friendly. Once you have AdobeRGB simulated on display, run displaycal calibration to fix white & grey.

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks!

More likely to be caused by non color managed software. Anyway, from WRONGLY MADE CCSS in displaycal colorimeter database (AdobeRGB emulation, not native) it looks like P32u is a “photo” WLED PFS, so use HP Z24x G2 correction (WLED PFS) if you own an i1d3 colorimeter. It is bundled in DisplayCAL.
    SpyderX should have “some” WLED PFS mode of unknown flavor (1 from the 3 known).

Thanks for the reponse!  I am viewing in lightroom.  Are there better programs or any special settings to use in lightroom?

I tried both the Z24x and the PFS family corrections and both produced similar results (low error reported, good gamut, but both show a similar overly green tint in greenish blues).

And to be clear – I don’t want to restrict to adobe RGB – quite the opposite.  What I wanted to do is get the BIGGER gamut of the “custom” setting, but use the factory calibration (which is only in the adobe rgb setting) to correct the green tint (since the factory calibration doesn’t have the strong green tint).

Vincent
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks!

Thanks for the reponse!  I am viewing in lightroom.  Are there better programs or any special settings to use in lightroom?

No. Try simpler profiles like single curve + matrix ones, or the opposite if you were using the simpler ones.

Also run “measurement report” + simulation profile AdobeRGB + use simulation profile as display profile on  “AdobeRGB” OSD preset (factory calibration). Check if your claims about blue are true.

Also plot gamut2D projection or 3D (profile info) to see what is going on.

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks!

No. Try simpler profiles like single curve + matrix ones, or the opposite if you were using the simpler ones.

Also run “measurement report” + simulation profile AdobeRGB + use simulation profile as display profile on  “AdobeRGB” OSD preset (factory calibration). Check if your claims about blue are true.

I had been doing an XYZ LUT + Matrix.  You recommend trying the “curves + matrix” option instead?

And for the measurement report – you are saying I should put the monitor on adobe RGB, then run a verification against an adobe RGB simulation profile, right?   I guess i’m skeptical because the profile verification comes back good even when I am seeing the issue – does that make sense?  But i’ll give it a try.

By plotting a 3d gamut projection you just mean hitting the “3d” under profile information, right?  What should I be looking for?

Vincent
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks!

I had been doing an XYZ LUT + Matrix.  You recommend trying the “curves + matrix” option instead?

single curve. Simpler, more idealized.

And for the measurement report – you are saying I should put the monitor on adobe RGB, then run a verification against an adobe RGB simulation profile, right?   I guess i’m skeptical because the profile verification comes back good even when I am seeing the issue – does that make sense?  But i’ll give it a try.

If you use AdobeRGB factory calibration you must assign AdobeRGB profile to display in OS color management settings. If you assign “driver” ICC to display while using factory AdobeRGB mode all things will be wrong: R, M, Y will not match by huge margin vs profile values. 100% sure, no discussion here. They will look desaturated.

By plotting a 3d gamut projection you just mean hitting the “3d” under profile information, right?  What should I be looking for?

Just look if blu is as off as you said.

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks!

single curve. Simpler, more idealized.

If you use AdobeRGB factory calibration you must assign AdobeRGB profile to display in OS color management settings. If you assign “driver” ICC to display while using factory AdobeRGB mode all things will be wrong: R, M, Y will not match by huge margin vs profile values. 100% sure, no discussion here. They will look desaturated.

Just look if blu is as off as you said.

Ok.  I did a single curve and do not see a substantial difference (measurement is a little worse but not much).  As for the 3d map, I honestly don’t know what I’m looking for.  The gamut looks about as large as I would expect and I don’t see any weird deviations.

But I did find something that might shed light on the issue.  In lightroom, when I raise the white balance, the display looks much closer to my other calibrated displays.  However, when I LOWER the white balance (especially below ~5k), the difference in the blue becomes increasingly dramatic.  Any ideas what might cause that and any ways to fix it?

Thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

Upload both HTML reports and their profiles (matrix and XYZLUT).

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Upload both HTML reports and their profiles (matrix and XYZLUT).

Sure.   Sorry for my inexperience – do I upload .icc file for the profile itself?  If so I think its attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Missing report verifications and factory profile you are using

XYZLUT verified against its own profile

AdobeRGB preset verified vs AdobeRGB

Factory/driver ICC and see where is placed blue.

If proper correction was used (i1d3), what you see in colorimeter is what it is to a high degree of accuracy.

Vincent
    Participant

Also to avoid some GPU issues try to “profile only” factory AdobeRGB preset (choose calibration tab all to native). It will measure display and make a taylor made profile (simple or complex depending on youir choice), no GPU calibration at all.
    If issues dissapear it is GPU issue.

Regaphyiks
    Participant

Missing report verifications and factory profile you are using

XYZLUT verified against its own profile

AdobeRGB preset verified vs AdobeRGB

Factory/driver ICC and see where is placed blue.

If proper correction was used (i1d3), what you see in colorimeter is what it is to a high degree of accuracy.

The factory ICC doesn’t appear any different than the adobe RGB.  Attached are the adobe RGB and XYZlut.

Obviously the ICC verification is a bit better – but the regular adobe isn’t bad or far off… It doesn’t correlate at all to the very large difference I see when I switch from one to another…

As an aside, why would the profile lower my contrast?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Because it corrects white using GPU LUTs if you didn’t in OSD.

I didn’t check that you are using sRGB TRC in a low contrast display (IPS are “low” contrast), mostly usless using wider than sRGB colorspaces.

Redo 2.2.
    Redo “profile only”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS