HDR Verification Profile and TestChart

Home Forums Help and Support HDR Verification Profile and TestChart

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Hi. Florian .

I’m hardware editor. Normally i tested pc components. I’m starting to test the new television, and I have a few questions about the test. As you know, old-fashioned television (SDR) uses REC.709 / s.rgb color gamut. But now hdr televisions DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 have entered our lives.  That’s the part I want to ask. In the past, I used to make the comparison Test Chart: “Extended Verification test chart”. Now I’m going to use these two profiles to compare the tests: DCI-P3 / SMPTE-431-2 Color Profile and BT.2020 Color Profile. As Test Chart, which criteria should I choose?

Or is there a profile and test chart that you recommend? Your opinions are important, the tests should build on the right foundations.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s hard to give recommendations without having details about the test you want to run. Pick the testchart you want to use. If you want to check the unprofiled display against a given standard, select an appropriate simulation profile and enable “use simulation profile as display profile”.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

Thanks for reply. In general, I’ll use it for television testing. And now every television is supporting HDR. The latest television from the review for the Samsung Q7FN. I have two criteria for testing. At first I’ll test it with the standard settings out of the box. Then I will test the TV by calibrating. I’m going to use two color profiles. DCI-P3 and BT.2020. Which test chart should I use?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I assume you are going to test the HDR mode of each TV, not just the extended gamut capability. In that case, use one of the HDR testcharts with the respective peak brightness that most closely matches the TV’s capabilities. As display profile, use either the DCI P3 ST 2084 10000cd/m2 or respective BT.2020 profile.

Edit: Profile needs to be BT.2020 ST 2084 for HDR.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Florian Höch.

Ali Emre Alici
    Participant

If I don’t get it wrong, I’ll choose BT.2020 ST 2084 as the profile, whether it’s the color gamut DCI-P3 or BT.2020.

Thank you.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

BT.2020 is a container. DCI-P3 is a limited range content inside the vast range BT.2020 covers, which at the moment, there is no display that can cover its entire range.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS