HDR, MADVR, 3DLUT…

Home Forums Help and Support HDR, MADVR, 3DLUT…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

owatchfirst
    Participant

Hello. This thing needs clear guides for newbies like me 🙂

I have couple of question. I hope you can help me. I need proper HDR 3DLUT for Madvr.

1- I restored all settings to default. I choose ”Video 3DLUT for Madvr HDR” from settings.

2- Calibration tab: I cant do interactive display adjustment because my HDR not working window mode. But my color temp is already correct so i dont need it i guess. When i disable ”interactive display adjustment” window pops up and asks me ”Do you want the 3DLUT to use the measured white point as well(3DLUT rendering intent will be set to relative colorimetric) ? ” Should i say yes or no ? Should i leave all settings at default ”as measured” ?

3- 3DLUT tab: Everything is default. Now there is two settings: ”Target peak luminance” and ”Mastering display peak luminance”

Should i set ”Mastering display peak luminance” to 10000 or should i create 3DLUTS for every scenario (1000,4000,10000) for the content ? Madtpg has the same setting. I guess i should set both same value ?? Madtpg default 4000, Dispcal default 10000.

My display has 600nits peak brightness but full screen white goes down to 420nits after couple of seconds. (local dimming zones enabled)

Its 400 nits when local dimming zones disabled. So should i set ”Target peak luminance” to 400, 420 or 600 ? Also Madvr has the same setting. What it should be ? Its default 200.

4- Should i disable local dimming zones during 3DLUT creation ? It boosts brightness but also it creates artifically pure blacks if full screen goes black. Native blacks 0.16cd, local dimming zones blacks 0cd

5- Calibrate and profile button is ”profile only” now. When i click that it asks me again ”The current calibration curves will be used. Do you want to continue ?” and 2 option ”use linear calibration instead” and ”Embed calibration curves in profile” Which one should i choose before continue ?

I hope my english is understandable 🙂 Thanks for your time already.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

But my color temp is already correct so i dont need it i guess. When i disable ”interactive display adjustment” window pops up and asks me ”Do you want the 3DLUT to use the measured white point as well(3DLUT rendering intent will be set to relative colorimetric) ? ” Should i say yes or no ?

When your display already has the correct whitepoint (e.g. by means of adjusting the display controls), then you can use as measured.

Should i leave all settings at default ”as measured” ?

Yes.

Should i set ”Mastering display peak luminance” to 10000 or should i create 3DLUTS for every scenario (1000,4000,10000) for the content ?

It’s your choice. For best detail preservation, leave the default of 10000.

Madtpg has the same setting. I guess i should set both same value ??

What madTPG should be set at (i.e. which metadata it should send to the display) is dependent on the display, so I can give no recommendation other than to leave the default values if unsure.

My display has 600nits peak brightness but full screen white goes down to 420nits after couple of seconds. (local dimming zones enabled)

Make sure to use a small test pattern area size so local dimming doesn’t affect the measurements if you can’t turn it off for profiling. Also, it may help to set patch sequence on the “Profiling” tab to “Maximize lightness difference”.

Its 400 nits when local dimming zones disabled. So should i set ”Target peak luminance” to 400, 420 or 600

I’d recommend 600.

Also Madvr has the same setting. What it should be ? Its default 200.

If you profile the display in HDR mode, you’ll be using “process HDR content by external 3D LUT” in madVR. The respective peak nit for the metadata to be sent to the display in madVR is dependent on the display, and the default for “process HDR” 3D LUTs in madVR is 1000 (although it would probably make sense to use the same peak value as in madTPG). You can experiment with it later.

Should i disable local dimming zones during 3DLUT creation ?

I’d recommend it. Local dimming can mess up the measured display response otherwise and introduce non-linearities.

Calibrate and profile button is ”profile only” now. When i click that it asks me again ”The current calibration curves will be used. Do you want to continue ?” and 2 option ”use linear calibration instead” and ”Embed calibration curves in profile” Which one should i choose before continue ?

Linear + embed.

I hope my english is understandable

Absolutely, don’t worry about it (non-native english speaker myself).

owatchfirst
    Participant

Thanks for answers.

I think amount of patches should be 417 minimum. This setting or other settings not sure(like relative colorimetric) messes hdr 3dlut. Colors looks weird and produces weird artifacts. Also profiling result %128 srgb %91 dci-p3 gamut volume with this.

417 amount of patch resulting with absolute colorimetric = %147 srgb, %103 dci-p3 and no artifacts. I created 3 profile (480 target luminance and 1000 mastering luminance), (600 target luminance and 1000 mastering luminance) (600 target luminance and 10000 mastering luminance)  These are looks good.

It takes time. Im trying different combinations.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2943380-hdr10-test-patterns-set.html i tried these tests.

There is HDR10 tone mapping/clipping test but i dont know how to read them exactly. https://imgur.com/a/9prtYVK

So my gpu tone mapping (passthrough hdr content to the display): shows details until 1000nits.

600/1000 hdr 3dlut depends on peak nits settings on the madVR:

Peak nits: 600 = details until 600

Peak nits: 1000 = details until 1000

Peak nits 4000 = details until 1200

Peak nits: 10000 = details until 600 again

I guess my display cant read 10000 peak nits data properly. It uses default 600 peak nits for this data. But 1000 and 4000 peak nits setting makes difference.

600/10000 hdr 3dlut results:

Peak nits: 600 = details until 2500

Peak nits: 1000 = details until 6000

Peak nits 4000 = details until 8000

Peak nits: 10000 = details until 2500 again

This lut creates some minor distortions too. I guess 417 amount of patches not enough for this 600/10000 lut.  These are all white color clipping results. Other colors differs a lot.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, that is useful feedback. I’ve been wondering myself what a good default amount of patches would need to be for HDR profiling. It shouldn’t be so low it can’t accurately characterize the display when in HDR mode, but also shouldn’t be so high that display stability over the course of the measurements becomes an issue. I think I’ll go with your suggestion and increase the default to 417 patches.

Do you have any insight on whether or not “maximize lightness difference” helps display stability over “minimize display response delay”?

owatchfirst
    Participant

Yes i tried it. Relative colorimetric without interactive adjustment + Linear + embed. 600/1000 amount of patches= 175 and maximize lightness difference. Result is bad again. Interestingly profile self check results are better this way. avg: 0.08 max: 0.96

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, but I meant with the same number of patches (i.e. 425). Rendering intent is not related.

owatchfirst
    Participant

Oh ok i tried it.

600/10000 hdr 3dlut results:

Peak nits: 600 = details until 2500

Peak nits: 1000 = details until 6000

Peak nits 4000 = details until 8000

Peak nits: 10000 = details until 2500 again

This lut creates some minor distortions too. I guess 417 amount of patches not enough for this 600/10000 lut.  These are all white color clipping results. Other colors differs a lot.

I just switched minimize display response delay to maximize lightness difference im getting less details now. 5500 instead of 8000. But less distortion.

Actually both look good when viewing normal hdr video. Artifacts only visible when testing tone mapping with this (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2943380-hdr10-test-patterns-set.html). It tries to show 8000nits detail on the 600nit display.

Best result 600/1000 so far. No distortion, no weird artifacts but it cant show above 1200nit detail.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS