Have an ICC profile can I verify against my monitor?

Home Forums General Discussion Have an ICC profile can I verify against my monitor?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Normally I pick one that’ve already profile in setting menu then go verification menu to verify against my monitor. Check if those profile still accurate describe monitor or not.

But what if I clean/format my computer and keep only ICC profile. Then after install displaycal I’ll click: load setting from that ICC profile. Question is : after load ICC profile in displaycal setting menu, I can then go to verification menu and verify that ICC profile? Or no I can’t verify this way. I’ve to re-profile from beginning again if I need to verification.

Hope you understand what I try to say.

For example I use Dell U2415H, one day I’ve format computer and keep only “U2417H #1 2022-10-13 19-30 95cdm2 D6500 2.2 M-S 1xCurve+MTX.icm”, now after install windows and displaycal I then  want to use and verify this profile.

Vincent
    Participant

On fresh clean instalations there seems to be an issue to verify with “current” seetings that users with an old instalations do not suffer.  I maen, I have an old instlation. I could plug your monitor, add profile only to Windows OS settings, run DisplayCAL, choose that monitor and even keeping “<current>” settings it will verify it.
    Some fresh clean instalations report that their button is greyed and cannot be clicked. On macOS for example.

Choosing File menu, then install display profile, so DisplayCAL assigns its loader to taskbar should enable it, at least using that profile in settings.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

On fresh clean instalations there seems to be an issue to verify with “current” seetings that users with an old instalations do not suffer.  I maen, I have an old instlation. I could plug your monitor, add profile only to Windows OS settings, run DisplayCAL, choose that monitor and even keeping “<current>” settings it will verify it.

I’ve try <current> setting now. I open Displaycal then try switch profile by profile loader then <current> setting and verify display. That work well also on dual display. Also by load setting profile, then Displaycal assign that profile, choose that and verify.

Also by copy profile to windows folder, then add to profile loader and then <current> setting and verify. All work well.

Another question is: For verification, I can change parameter in Display & instrument page?  For example correction, white level drift compensation right? I’ve seen result show on Basic information html file if I choose other correction and also from log window.

What about Calibration and Profiling page? Does they also effect verification result? Because I should not, also I’ve experiment some, it’s not. But o make sure I’d like to ask.

Vincent
    Participant

Another question is: For verification, I can change parameter in Display & instrument page?  For example correction, white level drift compensation right? I’ve seen result show on Basic information html file if I choose other correction and also from log window.

Yes, you can choose different CCSS for validation and you should use the proper CCSS for that LED.
    Do not try serveral corrections and say that the best one is the one that gives lesser error on report, that’s false unless you had calibrated display with a trusted reference device to compare against. The proper correction is the one that matches SPD in backlight and if errors in report are high with that good CCSS it means that calibration is bad.

For example: you have a display with HW cal, but HW cal software is nit working as expected, applying a wrong EDR/CCSS (Benq Palette Master Elements for example which is know to be faulty correction all backlights as if they were RGBLED).
    -If you wish to test “calibration quality” (grey range & white) of that HW cal software you should test with the same wrong correction. That will test how bad that HW calibration software drifts “from its own parameters”. “How final calibration drifts from what colorimeter measured”. It’s a general rule, there may be exceptions like 3rd party profiles created with D50 whithout CHAD and such.
    -If you wish to test ACTUAL “calibration quality” (grey range & white) of that HW cal software you should test with the correct EDR for that backlight. In our Benq SW example it can be QLED, WLED PFS or some hybrid of PFS + weird phosphor. You can get CCSS samples from these in Displaycal colorimeter database but beware, some ofthese CCSS were not measured at native gamut hence these are not useful. Easy to spot them as some channel will look like addition of “peaks” of the other channels.

What about Calibration and Profiling page? Does they also effect verification result? Because I should not, also I’ve experiment some, it’s not. But o make sure I’d like to ask.

No infuence, only for calibrating & profiling.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Do not try serveral corrections and say that the best one is the one that gives lesser error on report, that’s false unless you had calibrated display with a trusted reference device to compare against. The proper correction is the one that matches SPD in backlight and if errors in report are high with that good CCSS it means that calibration is bad.

Ok, now I know that. Think about it before.

How about “Report › Report on calibrated display device” and “Report › Verify calibration”?

It does measure calibration/grey same as in verification report file when checked “Evaluate gray balance through calibration only” or not? I’m not understand benefit of using these report , why not go to ren full verification then? Am I missing something?

Vincent
    Participant

uncalibrated display report => basic test without VCGT data loaded, builtin Argyllcms

calibrated display report => basic test with VCGT data loaded, builtin Argyllcms

Verify calibration => grey report, builtin Argyllcms (AFAIK, I do nt remember command)

Measurement report => HTML report made by DisplayCAL from several measurements (I do not remember wich ArgyllCMS command is used for measurements)

So the main difference is one being an HTML report and the other basic built in comand line reports, 3rd one not very useful because we have the 4th in a frontend like displaycal. 1st & 2nd are usefult because they are fast. For more detail betetr to rely on 4th, but it is locked to CIE 1931 2degree obs.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Vincent.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent. It so clear now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS