Has much changed in 3DLUT creation?

Home Forums General Discussion Has much changed in 3DLUT creation?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kapkan
    Participant

It has been more than a year since I last created madVR and ReShade 3DLUT’s for my TV and monitor that have awful built-in controls for calibration. I remember for ReShade is was a 64x64x64 3DLUT and similar for madVR.  Are instructions pretty much the same for creation of such 3DLUT’s with the latest ArgyllCMS and DisplayCAL? Can DisplayCAL generate 3DLUT’s for the latest versions of GIMP and Photoshop?

I bet questions I am asking are already answered somewhere.., but it’s been so long that it feels overwhelming to go through all the changes…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The entry on the Wiki page is still applicable.

Kapkan
    Participant

Thanks! You are as awesomely helpful as always!

Could you please explain to me “high resolution device to pcs generation”  and “Smoothing” ? Its something new…  LUT banding reduction, perhaps?I think its the only negative effect I get from using ReShade 3DLUT, but it’s due probe accuracy.

BTW, I realize that measurement data gathering speed depends on the probe, but post-measurement calculations and 3DLUT generation can also take a good while, even on NVMe SSD with 8700K @ 5Ghz on all 6 cores… Is there that much data?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you please explain to me “high resolution device to pcs generation” and “Smoothing” ? Its something new…

It’s been around for a few years 🙂 These options usually don’t apply to the creation of 3D LUTs, because the default gamut mapping mode for 3D LUT generation is to invert the device to PCS table on-the-fly which provides the most accurate result.

3DLUT generation can also take a good while, even on NVMe SSD with 8700K @ 5Ghz on all 6 cores… Is there that much data?

The amount of data in terms of disk space is negligible, processing of said data is computationally expensive though. Also, Argyll’s collink is a single-thread application (although on multi core systems you might still get a slight speed boost due to compiler optimizations).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS