Had issues setting up Lenovo Yoga

Home Forums Help and Support Had issues setting up Lenovo Yoga

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

RayW
    Participant

First I will describe my setup and what my intended use is for DisplayCal.

I have a Lenovo Yoga (720-15IKB) Laptop with a UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS LED Multitouch screen. Device manager shows it installed as a generic PNP monitor. All monitor setting are software driven. This is also running Windows 10

I am an intermediate photographer and desire to prepare all my photos for printing. I do not upload any to the web anymore, although I would like my web viewing to look nice as well. I intend on doing photo editing with open source software. Such as GIMP, Darktable, and Rawtheropy. I am leaning more to Darktable for most of my needs.

For now I have to go outside my home to have the printing done as I only have an inkjet printer and do not like using those for photos. For 8×10 and lower I just go to a kodak Kiosk, For larger prints I go to a small print shop. My problem has always been getting the photos looking good on the monitor to only have them to dark, light, or slightly wrong tinted at print. Although they still look good.  I would always eyeball the color settings using a web sight with a gama chart and then the built in Windows color management Guide for Brightness and contrast.  When it came to removing to much tint of RGB, I am unable to do so as my eyes are not that good.

I was finally able to start looking into Monitor calibration tools. I went with the Spyder5 Express package, after reading into it for awhile. IThat reading into it brought me to Displaycal. All reviews said to forgo the included Datacolor software and install Displaycal and Argyll. I purchased the Spyder5 yesterday and that is the start point in playing around with any of this.

I tried following several tutorials on how to get things to work. Only to find That some places told to go did not exist (possibly due to windows 10 updates since time those tutorials where made) and they did not work. Displaycal (3.4) installed just fine and it seemed to install ArgyllCMS (2.0) as well. However I could not find anywhere that Argyl was installed. After a few hours of failed tutorials this is what I did that finally got everything working, although it left a bug that may or may not be messing things up.

In DisplayCal in clicked on ‘tools>instrument>Enable Spyder2 Colormeter. It looked like it installed something but the program still would not see my Spyder5. (I am not able to remove the check mark from this option. I tried to turn it off but it will not go away. Even tried to remove the software completly and reinstall and was unable to figure out how to do that. There is no windows uninstall in APP section or an option in the Displaycal folder for uninstall. I did remove the directory that Has Displaycal and used the ZERO install to reinstall and that check mark is still there. This is the possible bug that I am not sure if it is causing problems. )

I had the Spyder5 plugged in already and removed its drivers before going into ‘Tools>Instrument>InstallArgyllCMS intrument…… ‘ It would never show up in my device manager. Out of frustration I plug the Spyder5 Back into the system and it installs normal under ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’ I then Run the ArgyllCMS install again and it shows up in device manager and the Spyder5 moves from ‘universal serial bus controllers’ to under ‘Argyll Lib-win32 devices>Spyder5 (Argyl) After that the “Calibrate and profile” button in DisplayCal is no longer greyed out and I can click on it.

I run my very first Calibration with the Spyder5 through DisplayCal. It took about 2 and a half hours to complete after about 40 minutes trying to get the RGB centered (first time messing with those settings in that way but have the hang of it now). While it was reading the patches it would beep and make shutter sounds. A lot of beeping. Not sure what the beeps mean but figured the shutter sound meant it was done with a patch. (That Enable Spyder2 colormeter option is still checked, as mentioned above. Unable to remove that check mark)

Now There is a yellowish tint in the web browsing (Firefox) but so far the rest seems OK.

So now I wonder if something may not be right. Is it normal for the calibration to take that long? is there anything that needs to be corrected or anything to make it better?

RayW
    Participant

I forgot to mention one thing. After I did get the Spyder5 to install under Argyll a screen came up to install the color meter it selected two options Automatically. One for Spyder 4/5 and the other for Colormonkey and few others as well as Spyder(Icant recall the exact terminology). I left the two selection checked and continued with the installation.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

In DisplayCal in clicked on ‘tools>instrument>Enable Spyder2 Colormeter.

You have a Spyder5, this option only relates to the Spyder2. Once enabled, you could remove the Spyder2 firmware file manually – but there’s no point, all that it’s doing is sitting there, not being used (it’s a tiny file as well, only 7 KB).

There is no windows uninstall in APP section or an option in the Displaycal folder for uninstall.

If you have installed via Zero Install, you use the Zero Install entry in the start menu to manage the installed Zero Install programs.

So now I wonder if something may not be right. Is it normal for the calibration to take that long?

Calibration speed depends on instrument measurement speed. Have a fast instrument, and calibration will be done (much) more quickly (think 10 minutes instead of 2 hours if you use an i1 Display Pro or ColorMunki Display).

After I did get the Spyder5 to install under Argyll a screen came up to install the color meter it selected two options Automatically. One for Spyder 4/5 and the other for Colormonkey and few others as well as Spyder(Icant recall the exact terminology). I left the two selection checked and continued with the installation.

Yes, that’s the recommended thing to do. It enables additional measurement modes for different display type technologies for the Spyder5.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

RayW
    Participant

Things have become much worse. I ran the Verification setting and it had One item in red and said Not OK. At this time only two patches where showing Red and not OK. I did some reading and saw a similar thread about this where it was suggested to enable the White drift option. I checked the box and ran the calibration again. After that the Verification had even more patches showing red.

I did more reading and found a suggestion to manually set white point to 6500 and gama at 2.2. I find where to do this and manually set it there. I run calibration again and even more patches show as red.

I do more searching and run across a tutorial talking about setting up the spyder5 with Displaycal for use with both web processing purposes and printing purposes. This tutorial recommended setting white point at 5000 for Web and 6500. I decide to follow it to the letter for 6500.

Before running calibration it had me ‘Enable advanced Options’ change settings (section at top of program) to ‘Default (gama 2.2)’ then go to ‘Tools>Correction>Import color corrections….. and select the Spyder software installer exe’ (Spyder software is not installed on my system) then change ‘Mode’ to LCD (White Led).

Under Calibration section Make sure ‘Interactive display adjustment’ is checked. Change Whitepoint to 6500 : ‘tone curve’ to sRGB and calibration speed to high.

In Profiling section, changed ‘Profile type’ to Single curve + matrix (‘black point compensation’ checked) : and change file to name to my choosing.

I then run calibration again. The verification is now almost entirely red, Not OK. Images look over saturated a bit. Even the default windows background is drowned out where it is supposed to be smokey looking. I did find that going to ‘Tools>Video card Gama table>reset video card Gama table’ Makes everything look normal again, however after awhile the last profile stored in Displaycal takes back over and everything looks bad.

I am thinking that it may have done calibrations off the previous settings instead of dropping down to display default and calibrate from there and this may be why it became increasingly worse.

It is now my though that I need to undo everything Displaycal has done up to this point and start fresh from scratch. Make it as if it has never been on my system before and then put it back on.

I guess I got the wrong hardware and am stuck with it. Later I will get the better one, thanks for letting me know what to get.

RayW
    Participant

What would your recommended settings be for my setup and displaycal? This after removing all it has done and starting over.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What would your recommended settings be for my setup and displaycal?

Defaults (gamma 2.2) and set measurement mode to “White LED”. You’re seriously overthinking this.

RayW
    Participant

It is more of not understanding exactly what the software is doing (and how it is doing it) and making sure you know all I have done.

After I figure out how to remove everything it has done I will run again with your suggestion. If I still have bad results I will quit trying altogether and toss the Spyder in the trash.  Then will get the better hardware, when I can and try again.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

After I figure out how to remove everything it has done

There’s no need to do that. just select “Default (gamma 2.2)”, let it run and install the resulting profile. See how you go.

If I still have bad results I will quit trying altogether and toss the Spyder in the trash.

That should be the last (if any at all) option. The Spyder5 isn’t a bad instrument (unless it’s actually defective, which I doubt though), it’s just a little slow.

RayW
    Participant

I did find the uninstaller inside the folder where DisplayCal is installed. I ran it and after reinstall it became apparent there are registry entries that stayed in place. It already knew it was installed before and all options where still the same. (This before I saw your reply)

Anyway I Reset my color settings within the Intel Video software and Ran DisplayCal as you suggested.

So far all the colors everywhere seem to be correct. Brighter even and easier to look at. I did compare what I was seeing to photos I previously printed. They where still a little off (Slightly brighter) from the Computer display , however not as bad as before. I do realize this is not an accurate comparison anyway as the printer that printed it could have been different at any time.

Now to Process images with the way DisplayCal set up my monitor and see how those do at the print shop. If it is just slight brightness that is easy to correct.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by RayW.

RayW
    Participant

One last question on this. Do I have to make sure Displaycal opens with system  startup for its changes to be in effect?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I did find the uninstaller inside the folder where DisplayCal is installed. I ran it and after reinstall it became apparent there are registry entries that stayed in place.

DisplayCAL does not store anything in the registry, all settings and files it creates are stored in the filesystem. See the documentation, “User data and configuration file locations”.

One last question on this. Do I have to make sure Displaycal opens with system startup for its changes to be in effect?

No. The only thing related to DisplayCAL that needs to run at login is the DisplayCAL profile loader.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS