Green Cast after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Green Cast after calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Luca Iacono
    Participant

Dear All,

I have 2 Dell E1909W monitors on a Win10 machine with an I7 and HD4000, and a Spyder 5 Pro as colorimeter.

After calibrating both monitors (twice) with DisplayCal, I noticed the following:

1.As a desktop background, I have a grey solid color, which has a green cast. (RGB values are all the same)

2. White on pure white (rgb 255,255,255), looks yellowy in Lightroom (develop module), in Capture One, and in Windows Photo App.  Note that I am referring to a doctor’s coat on a pure white background, and the coat has been desaturated so that the values for RGB are all the same. This is consistent in both Lightroom and Capture One.

3. The same picture, exported in JPEG, is displayed perfectly in the Windows Explorer Preview and in Firefox once uploaded on my website.

4. The delta E seems to be too high: value 2.54, with a threshold of 1.0.

I am aware that Windows Photo app is not ICC compatible, but it displays the same cast I see in Lightroom and in Capture One.  Before doing the second calibration I also imported the colorimeter corrections from the Spyder5Pro installation file and saw no improvements.

This is the funny part. If I calibrate my monitors via the Windows calibration app, the whites look just perfect, the greys too,  in all of the above-mentioned apps. The contrast may be a little too high, but I’m sure i can work the gamma sliders a little more in my favour.  The ICC generated by Windows I believe to be in the sRGB spectrum, which could account for consistency across all apps.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible in my explanation and testing.  If you can shed some light, please do so. If you believe I am missing something, please contribute.
    Thank you all in advance.
    Luca

Luca Iacono
    Participant

Wanted to give you a little update.
    I have re-calibrate one of the two monitors twice. The first time chancing the correction to Spectral  LCD White LED, with disastrous effects, the white point was just too blue, with the settings set on sRGB.

I found this very interesting video on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2nVNxx1IHo

The second time I have changed the instrument mode to LCD CCFL, which is the type of backlight of the Dell E1909W, still keeping the sRGB settings, with no correction and whitepoint set to 6500.

The overall calibration now seems to be good, however the white point, though improved, is still somewhat warm, especially if I compare it to the second monitor which still holds the Windows calibration, and has a really pleasing whites.  Really!

Again any help would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

-get an accurate meassurement device (avoid spyders)
    -if you cannot get it or if there is no suitable generic correction use visual white point appoach. You  choose subjectively what D65 should look like, then DIsplaycal will make all greys with the same color. Banding may show in greys if you do not have an AMD or in color managed apps if that apps lacks of high bitdepth computing + dither.
    Photoshop & freinds won’t care about custom white. Rendering of image sto screen is always whitepoint relative, but if you are going to make LUT3D for video or games, do not use absolute rendering intents on LUT3D or you’ll loose visually chosen white.

Luca Iacono
    Participant

Update #2

I believe I have improved the overall white point. I have set the instrument to LCD CCFL 2, and now the whites look great and consistent on all apps ( lightroom, capture one, windows photo app ). the greys may have a green cast but can’t be too sure.
    Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS