General Best Practice Question

Home Forums Help and Support General Best Practice Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

onStreamPro
    Participant

I’ve been a very happy DisplayCal user for the last year or so to calibrate my monitors for SDR broadcast and I’m really grateful for this piece of software!

I have recently acquired a new Lilliput Q28 broadcast monitor which I’m primarily going to use for my SDR broadcast work, but I also want to dabble in its HDR abilities.

My question is more of a general best practice for jumping between SDR and HDR on the same reference monitor.

Should I still be doing an interactive display adjustment in Monitor to change the white point and white level before creating a 3D LUT and if so I assume I’d need to change those settings back if I switch over to an HDR project? Or can I simply leave everything as “as measured” and then create a different LUT for SDR and HDR that I can easily toggle between?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but in all my research I haven’t had much luck finding an answer.

In case the info is helpful, I’m on a M1 Mac Mini with a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K output card going to a Lilliput Q28 reference monitor.

Mroge
    Participant

Hello, I have a Lilliput BM230-12g and I’m in the same situation as you, I want to calibrate it and load a 3D lut for SDR, have you been able to do the calibration with Display Cal or have you had to use LightSpace CMS as indicated in its manual? Thank you very much for your help. Greetings.

onStreamPro
    Participant

Hey I have managed to get a lut from display cal loaded into my Lilliput q28 monitor.

Took a bit of trial and error, but you need to ensure that the lut is 33x33x33 and not 64x64x64

Then I could either name the file Rec709.cube and the monitor would import that, or I could name it User1-6.cube and the monitor would import that as a user profile.

My main hiccup is what the best to switch  between HDR and SDR calibration, without messing up the RGB gain settings on the monitor.

I feel like maybe I’m over thinking things but my plan right now is to load a HDR and SDR lut as user settings and I’m going to calibrate HDR first, set the RGB gain to get my D65 white balance and then theoretically I might be able to just adjust my brightness setting to reach my sdr 120nits level when I need to switch

onStreamPro
    Participant

Or maybe I shouldn’t do any manual adjustments in monitor for the white balance and leave everything to as measured and just create a lut for both SDR and HDR to do the calibration.

I’d love any suggestions or input! I’ve done tons of SDR calibrations and feel confident about that, I’m just not sure the best way to do both!

Vincent
    Participant

Usually you need SDR and HDR presets on display because on limited contrast displays with no FALD rising max white level to 500nit+ will cause black levels to rise too and yiou do not want thsi for SDR,
    IDNK your display capabilities but as a general rule: 2 profiles, one for each display OSD preset.

Mroge
    Participant

Hy to all again, it was time to calibrate my Lilliput BM-230 12G-SDI monitor. I have followed several Display Cal tutorials using Davinci Resolve, I adjusted my white balance in user mode until I got the correct measurement, I had too much red – magente, and I had to raise the greens. So far so good, but after 1 hour of calibration I find a 33x33x33 3D lut but when I load it I don’t see that it modifies anything, am I skipping a step? should you activate something first?
    When I insert the memory stick a message appears, I accept with “yes” and nothing happens in the image.
    My other big question is the “color space” of the monitor. In this model there are several presets to select: REC709, EBU, SMPTE-C, NATIVE, which one should be selected? In this case, if Resolve’s SDI RGB 4:4:4 is coming from the Decklink 4k in REC709 2.4, what is the correct monitor color space to select?
    On the other hand, the gamma of the monitor is 2.4, is that right?

Vincent
    Participant

Hy to all again, it was time to calibrate my Lilliput BM-230 12G-SDI monitor. I have followed several Display Cal tutorials using Davinci Resolve, I adjusted my white balance in user mode until I got the correct measurement, I had too much red – magente, and I had to raise the greens. So far so good, but after 1 hour of calibration I find a 33x33x33 3D lut but when I load it I don’t see that it modifies anything, am I skipping a step? should you activate something first?

Does it needed a LUT3D ?

= “does display behaved in its current state close to rec709 g2.4?”
    Closer it was, less changes you’ll notice.

Runing a measurement report with LUT3D disabled you’ll get a hint.

When I insert the memory stick a message appears, I accept with “yes” and nothing happens in the image.
    My other big question is the “color space” of the monitor. In this model there are several presets to select: REC709, EBU, SMPTE-C, NATIVE, which one should be selected? In this case, if Resolve’s SDI RGB 4:4:4 is coming from the Decklink 4k in REC709 2.4, what is the correct monitor color space to select?
    On the other hand, the gamma of the monitor is 2.4, is that right?

Usually you profile display at native gamut configured at reference whirtepoint and let LUT3D clip colorspace to Rec709 or whetever you set.
    That way prevent bad factory OSD modes cliping Rec709 preset with less saturated primaries.
    Also if you had a widegamut it will be obvious if a Rec709 lut3d is loaded or not due to Red 255 or green 255 being much more saturated that Rec709 couterparts.

Mroge
    Participant

Thank you Vincent for your comments, I answer your questions and my doubts:

Does it needed a LUT3D ?

Yes, according to the monitor’s manual. The only way to “calibrate” the Lilluput is by loading a 17x17x17 or 33x 3D LUT, but as I said before, when I carry out the loading process, the image does not change, or at least I do not notice it.
    If it changes when I vary the color space between REC709 and NATIVE. In Rec709 the whites pop a bit and turn green, it seems that the LUT is doing something in that color space, but not in the NATIVE.

Currently I have to correct color to a documentary filmed entirely in BRAW 6K, edited in Davinci, and to normalize the images we work with color management in DWG and output in REC709 2.4.
    When creating the LUT3D for the monitor, the Display Cal input encoding gives me the Video or Full options. I understand that if I am taking video in DAVINCI, the LUT must be created with the VIDEO values, is that right? Does this step affect the image?

Tomorrow I will calibrate a new 55″ LG OLED TV that we just bought with the same system, I hope I have better luck and at least that the image is reliable or accurate in skin tones and textures.
    I know that both teams are not “Grade Monitors” like Flanders or Eizo but the budget rules at the moment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS