Gamut question with (With illustrations)

Home Forums Help and Support Gamut question with (With illustrations)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hey Florian.

I’ve been meaning to ask you this question for a long time…

In the attached gamut graph you can see that blue is coming up short by about 3% of the sRGB colorspace… However, in the attached ‘XXXL’ verification report you can see that blue is showing a near perfect delta E.

How can a color show no error if it doesn’t exist?

Just trying to understand what’s actually going here… Does my gamut graph indicate any real concern?

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How can a color show no error if it doesn’t exist?

Gamut coverage percentages are no reliable indication of visual error, delta E on the other hand is.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, but the Delta E chart indicates that ‘Blue’ @ 000-000-255 is present, but the gamut graph indicates that that same blue isn’t present.

I am afraid that my maximum blue is being ‘cut off’ and somehow misrepresenting it’s saturation. (Which does appear visually in ‘Color checker’) … But not on your verification report. (See above attached  post.)

Why is this?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No, RGB 0 0 255 is the input color (blue), which has the associated nominal CIE values. The mixture of RGB that is needed to get close to those CIE values on the actual display, is something entirely different.

Steve Smith
    Participant

ok, so are you saying in this case that when blue (000 000 255) is being requested by say a photo, that my display is currently reproducing that value accurately to a delta E of 0.09. (According to the attached error report)?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

ok, so are you saying in this case that when blue (000 000 255) is being requested by say a photo, that my display is currently reproducing that value accurately to a delta E of 0.09. (According to the attached error report)?

Yes. A delta E of 0.09 is basically imperceptible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS