Gamut coverage measurement

Home Forums General Discussion Gamut coverage measurement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

When DisplayCAL prints out this info, is this a 3D Gamut coverage and volume measurement or is it something less like just 2D? Is there such a thing?

https://nicko88.com/misc/nx5cal/gamut.png

SirMaster
    Participant

Also, if I just want to measure the gamut coverage and volume of a display, what’s the easiest way to do that to get the most full measurement?

I notice that when I generate a 3DLUT, I get the measured coverage and volume, but I notice that the more patches I use for the 3DLUT, the larger the resulting coverage and volume % numbers I get.

Is that expected? How can I ensure I get the largest most accurate reading, just keep doing more and more patches? Is there a more efficient way?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Volume and true coverage is always 3D (L*a*b* space).

Also, if I just want to measure the gamut coverage and volume of a display, what’s the easiest way to do that to get the most full measurement?

Measure the gamut hull (i.e. for each patch always at least one of R, G or B at 0% or 100%).

I notice that when I generate a 3DLUT, I get the measured coverage and volume, but I notice that the more patches I use for the 3DLUT, the larger the resulting coverage and volume % numbers I get.

Gamut coverage is not a function of the 3D LUT, but of the characterization (profile). It shouldn’t fluctuate too much (a few percent tops maybe), but it depends how many patches you measured for characterization and thus how accurate the profile is (diminishing returns probably after around a thousand patches).

SirMaster
    Participant

Thanks.

Yeah I just notice that with say a ~100 point 3DLUT the result screen says like 89% P3 coverage, with ~500 points it’s like 92% and with ~1000 points it’s nearly 95% coverage, at least according to the results screen.

Measure the gamut hull (i.e. for each patch always at least one of R, G or B at 0% or 100%).

Is there some easy way to do this in DisplayCAL?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by SirMaster.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS