Gamma

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Spencer
    Participant

So i’m trying to calibrate my Dell monitor, and I’m having a bit of a tough time. So i just wanted to find out if everything seems normal, or if there’s something off?

I’ve got 2 profiles, one with a gamma around 1.8 (native), and one around 2.2, but 2.2 seems off in comparison to other devices whilst the 1.8 looks much more “normal”?

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’ve got 2 profiles, one with a gamma around 1.8 (native), and one around 2.2, but 2.2 seems off in comparison to other devices whilst the 1.8 looks much more “normal”?

You’ll have to explain what “off” and “normal” means to you.

Spencer
    Participant

Sorry, wasn’t really sure about the proper way to explain it, I’ll try to be more descriptive.

2.2 seems too dark, and considering my monitor has gamma options (currently set to PC), I was wondering if maybe the gamma wasn’t meant to be messed with, but I’ve read that 2.2 is what you’re meant to use so it ended up just being very confusing.

I post mainly web content, and I obviously don’t want to use 1.8 if most other people will see closer to 2.2.

More than happy to answer any questions to best of my abilities, thanks for the help.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In a bright environment, a gamma of below 2.2 may make sense. Gamma 2.2 is a de-facto-standard though. If you have glare/flare on screnn, it is best to try and eliminate that, by adjusting the viewing position and ambient lighting. The monitor white brightness should also be adjusted according to your ambient light level (prior to calibration/profiling).

In color managed applications, the calibration gamma has no effect anyway, because the tone response of the respective source profile will be reproduced.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS