Gamma Question

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

I am running Windows 10, with a GTX-970 video card, and a Samsung UD590 UHD 28″ monitor with a TN panel. I have a Pantone Huey Pro colorimeter.

First, I made sure any old color management profiles were deleted, and that all Windows color management settings were at their defaults. I then installed DisplayCAL with no problems. My monitor and colorimeter were recognized.

I then ran calibration. On the first screen, I was able to get all four bars centered without issue, so I then allowed the calibration to run. Everything seemed to work fine, I can see the difference, and my display colors seem to be accurate enough.

The only thing I’ve noticed is this… When I look at various different gamma calibration images, my gamma seems to be off. Every calibration image I look at puts my gamma at about 1.9 to 2.0.

Any idea why this might be???

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

First, I made sure any old color management profiles were deleted, and that all Windows color management settings were at their defaults.

That’s fine, but not something you need to worry about – profiles are not used during calibration and profiling measurements.

The only thing I’ve noticed is this… When I look at various different gamma calibration images, my gamma seems to be off. Every calibration image I look at puts my gamma at about 1.9 to 2.0.

Which calibration settings did you use? In color managed applications, the gamma of these visual calibration images should always end up being a match to 2.2 because a proper color management implementation should assume sRGB for the typically untagged calibration images (and sRGB has a midtone gamma of around 2.2). In un-colormanaged applications (e.g. the desktop and most apps) calibration images will show the gamma that has been used during calibration (because only the calibration is active globally, but ICC profiles need support in each individual application).

Note that this can also be a visual effect of your monitor, due to the usually high viewing angle dependence of TN panels.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the reply, and for your downright fantastic program!!! The gamma on my monitor is correct. It has a 28″ screen, and limited tilt, and it’s set up in such a way that I’m looking down on it at a slight angle. When gamma charts are view on the monitor perfectly straight on, the gamma reads 2.2. This is indeed a TN panel, and if the viewing angle is off in the slightest, so is the gamma.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS