Gamma on Viewsonic VP2772

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma on Viewsonic VP2772

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anton Sanin
    Participant

Hi everyone and Florian)

I use DisplayCAL for about 5 years since I bought Viewsonic VP2772. Thank you for a great PC app.

Well, I have not learned all the possibilities, and only weird thing is happening with Gamma. Colors seems to be really good, but I’m not sure about correct gamma settings. My instrument is i1 DisplayPro.

The problem is when I choose Gamma 2.2, so after the calibration on lagom.nl viewing angle page I see words “lagom” clearly that means that gamma is too low or high. The test page Gamma looks like the real gamma is about 2.0-2.1

When I tried to change manually to 2.3 on first page of settings the result looked better but not enough, I still see “lagom”.

Best results provided with a gamma settings of 2.4. But another colouring is visible on different brightness values on a test picture for gamma check with 4 stripes.

What settings should I choose to get true gamma?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

1-Measure actual gamma with DisplayCAL calibration loaded, I did not see such report in your attachments

2-Your display is going to be 1000:1 at best, perhaps 800:1 once calibrated. Gamma cannot stay as power law 2.2 or 2.4 in darkest side of grey ramp in such display

3-Visual gamma test need depend on dpi, its easy to get that bending in a 13″ FullHD than in a 27″ FullHD for example. One trick is to loose “visual dpi” cloosing a little your eyes.

4-Visual gamma test depend on using/not using color management. Untagged images are going to render as sRGB in some browsers.

5-When you have to choose between grey neutrality and exact gamma value, grey neutrality is prefered. Same for grey steps luminance separation. Profile TRC + color management engine in some apps will correct luminace “error” if possible.

Hence do not rely on visual test and measure instead. It should be a GB-LED, use that spectral correction for your colorimeter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS