Gamma Being Off

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma Being Off

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tony
    Participant

Hi, I selected the Video Preset with Low Calibration Speed, 1545 color patches and 2.2 gamma. My Gamma is 2.2 in the middle but starts to move to 2.3 towards the end. Is this normal to not have a flat 2.2? When I calibrate to Office and Web preset without any changes to settings I get a flat 2.2.

How is my calibration measurement report looking?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My Gamma is 2.2 in the middle but starts to move to 2.3 towards the end. Is this normal to not have a flat 2.2?

Yes, the video preset uses BT.1886. If you want a power curve, set calibration output offset to 100% (and gamma to “relative”).

How is my calibration measurement report looking?

All in the green obviously.

Tony
    Participant

Thank You for your reply.

Even when I switched to 2.2 it has a 2.3 gamma towards the end.

I enabled the show advanced options menu as before I had it disabled. And when I pick 2.2 tone curve it shows that it automatically switches relative and offset 100% automatically. But some reason i’m getting 2.3 towards the end?

All in the green obviously.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Im not really the savvy when it comes to calibration.

And is there any way to improve calibration? What settings would I pick?

What would be a better gamma for my Macbook Pro display? Or any other display for that matter?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Tony.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Tony.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Im not really the savvy when it comes to calibration.

Good.

And is there any way to improve calibration? What settings would I pick?

I see nothing that would need improvement.

Tony
    Participant

I edited my original post and added some more questions.

I enabled the show advanced options menu as before I had it disabled. And when I pick 2.2 tone curve it shows that it automatically switches relative and offset 100% automatically. But some reason i’m getting 2.3 towards the end?

What would be a better gamma for my macbook pro display?

Or any other display for that matter?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The calibration didn’t use a 100% output offset, relative gamma curve. You can check this by selecting it under “Settings”.

Tony
    Participant

Im looking at my profile I created and it says 2.2 gamma, offset 100% and relative. But I didn’t get 2.2 for some reason.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach the profile please.

Tony
    Participant

Im guessing your asking for the compressed archive.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Tony
    Participant

I don’t know if this information will help.

The gamma issue has actually been an ongoing problem even with previous versions of displaycal when I use large amount of color patches.

Im using the color munki display.

My MacBook Pro is a 13 inch an early 2011 model.

And I did my calibration on Sierra OS. Right now I currently upgraded to the new High Sierra OS.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I wonder if this is related to display drift. Enable white level drift compensation and turn up calibration speed a notch, as well as reduce (e.g. halve) the number of profiling patches.

Tony
    Participant

I’ll do this tonight.

I have done white drift compensation before with an older version and the gamma was off as well. Though I will retry tonight with this newer version and see what happens.

I remember an older version of displaycal, calibration was horribly off with errors in the reds. Though with newer versions it seemed to fix that problem. Maybe the older version wasn’t reading patches correctly?

Shouldn’t the number of patches increase accuracy as well as lower calibration speed?

Calibration is fine when I have picked office and web preset before with gamma at a flat 2.2.

I tried out the larger color patches and lower speed to increase accuracy and thats when its off.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS