Fluctuating whitepoint

Home Forums Help and Support Fluctuating whitepoint

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve Winter
    Participant

Hi Florian – first off, thanks very much for your efforts with DisplayCal.

I am trying to use DisplayCal/Argyll/Madvr to refine my HTPC video performance thru  my  Windows10/i5/16MB ram/SSD drives/GTX1070 connected to a new Sony A8F OLED tv. I have set the TV to  Flatpanelshd.com’s recommended pre-calibration settings to minimize auto adjustments in  the panel (https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1523863026#3).

When I run  Report on uncalibrated display device in DisplayCal (3.6) using my X-Rite i1Pro, i get different white levels each time I run it, ranging from 200 to 240  cd/m^2.

I assume that I can’t expect a very accurate profile with such variability.

Can you suggest what could be causing this?

Typical log attached

Cheers

Steve

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

When I run Report on uncalibrated display device in DisplayCal (3.6) using my X-Rite i1Pro, i get different white levels each time I run it, ranging from 200 to 240 cd/m^2.

I would assume this is due to some dynamic dimming/power saving/A(S)BL feature of the TV which adjusts peak output depending on the displayed content (or dims over time).

As a side note, this TV being an OLED, it probably has a very low black level. The i1 Pro can only read accurately down to around 0.1 cd/m2.

Steve Winter
    Participant

Thanks Florian – can you suggest a workflow methodology that would provide a reasonable calibration? And which colorimeter would you recommend?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

can you suggest a workflow methodology that would provide a reasonable calibration?

See if you can disable the dimming/power saving feature on the TV.

Enabling white level drift compensation in DisplayCAL may also help, as well as setting patch sequence (advanced option) on the profiling tab to “maximize lightness difference”.

which colorimeter would you recommend?

My usual recommendation is the i1D3 line of colorimeters (ColorMunki Display or i1 Display Pro – the latter is a slightly faster version of the former).

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS