Figuring out Backlight for B173HW01 V4

Home Forums Help and Support Figuring out Backlight for B173HW01 V4

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Recently I upgraded my older laptop to the best LVDS available to it (possibly the best one period for 17″)  the AUO B173HW01 V4. The issue I’m having is everywhere claims it to be WLED but to my knowledge its not possible for a plain WLED Backlight to be wide gamut.

The Gamut at native whitepoint is 99% sRGB, 95% aRGB, 86% DCI-P3 with 750:1 contrast ratio. This doesn’t line up vs what I can find vs any other plain WLED display. The display also has more extension into the R and G color portions which to me suggests it RG Phosphor like its smaller sibling from the same era the B156HW01 V4.

Would it be fair to assume the information I can find is flawed and this is in fact an RG Phosphor display like its sibling? Would my assumptions regarding WLED gamut limits be correct? I know its a TN Panel so I can only expect so much and it’ll never really color match my IPS but calibration in this case is difficult without knowing its Backlight for sure.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also to clarify my measurements so far have been done under the assumption of WLED with that spectral correction but the results just aren’t adding up and I have a slight pink cast.

Vincent
    Participant

i1d3 uncorrected measuring a WLED (blue led + yellow phosphor) cannot give you 95% adobeRGB green…. hence it is not a WLED.
    It can be some WLED PFS or GB-LED (RG phosphor). If it was a QLED it should have a more saturated red, so you can discard it too.

There is a WLED PFS sample with very limited red in PFS_family (it has 4 or 5 displays stored in a single file, each display 4rows WRGB). Plot 2D Spectral power distribution and try to manually extract that one in CCSS TXT file.
    “AdobeRGB only” WLED PFS without P3 red can be identified in thta CCSS file because it has a small hump in the shorter red wavelegths in addition to typical PFS double spike)

… or just try U2413 ccss and PFS_family ccss and get the one taht gets you a whiter white if you find the above too academic

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i1d3 uncorrected measuring a WLED (blue led + yellow phosphor) cannot give you 95% adobeRGB green…. hence it is not a WLED.
    It can be some WLED PFS or GB-LED (RG phosphor). If it was a QLED it should have a more saturated red, so you can discard it too.

There is a WLED PFS sample with very limited red in PFS_family (it has 4 or 5 displays stored in a single file, each display 4rows WRGB). Plot 2D Spectral power distribution and try to manually extract that one in CCSS TXT file.
    “AdobeRGB only” WLED PFS without P3 red can be identified in thta CCSS file because it has a small hump in the shorter red wavelegths in addition to typical PFS double spike)

… or just try U2413 ccss and PFS_family ccss and get the one taht gets you a whiter white if you find the above too academic

I gave the RG Phosphor profile mentioning the B156HW01 V4 a try and it seems to have given me good results. Im 100% sure this is not a plain WLED now considering its Gamut and relation to a known RG Phosphor display mentioned previously. Im pretty sure its not a PFS display as to my knowledge they didnt make those in laptops 10yrs ago when this display was in production.

Plotting 2D Spectral power and such is a bit beyond me at this point but i may give it a go in the future onces i can get a spectrometer from Xrite.

I appreciate the information and confirmation that im not completely crazy thinking there is no way this is a plain WLED backlight

Vincent
    Participant

I gave the RG Phosphor profile mentioning the B156HW01 V4 a try and it seems to have given me good results. Im 100% sure this is not a plain WLED now considering its Gamut and relation to a known RG Phosphor display mentioned previously. Im pretty sure its not a PFS display as to my knowledge they didnt make those in laptops 10yrs ago when this display was in production.

I skipped that information!

“We inputted this model’s specification on Jul 21 2012 for the first time, and the latest update on Aug 7 2019.” (panelook dot com)

I’d say it looks like RG-pshphor, GB-LED variant… but without SPD it’s guessing.

I appreciate the information and confirmation that im not completely crazy thinking there is no way this is a plain WLED backlight

i1d3 with no correction cannot measure near “adobergb 255 green”  in a vanilla WLED (blue led + yellow phosphor).
    Even uncorrected.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I skipped that information!

“We inputted this model’s specification on Jul 21 2012 for the first time, and the latest update on Aug 7 2019.” (panelook dot com)

I’d say it looks like RG-pshphor, GB-LED variant… but without SPD it’s guessing.

I think its a pretty decent guess at this point, Its smaller sibling came out at the same time and that ones known to be a RG Phosphor TN Panel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS