Feeling lost trying to calibrate for Resolve with a GUI, Wide gamut display

Home Forums Help and Support Feeling lost trying to calibrate for Resolve with a GUI, Wide gamut display

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Camon Crocker
    Participant

So here’s my situation. I have three monitors I want to calibrate, across two separate machines. I only care about accuracy in Davinci Resolve, not Lightroom or anything like that.

Here’s my setup:

• Desktop PC:
      • Two Rec.709, LG displays connected via my graphics card (NOT a decklink)
      • Windows 10
      • Resolve 17 Studio
    • Laptop:
      • Dell XPS 15 9570 with the 4K screen
      • Windows 10
      • Resolve 17 Studio

And I’m using an i1DisplayStudio for calibration. My questions are as follows:

1. Why is it that when I calibrate my displays (any of them) for D65, everything looks green? I’ve read that it might have something to do with spectral correction, but I’ve tried several different kinds of spectral correction and the results always come out looking green. The only way I’ve been able to get normal-looking colors is by setting the white point to “As Measured,” which of course leads to the white point being slightly different between my different displays. How can I get rid of this green cast while maintaining a consistent white point?
    2. When working with Resolve: Do I need to apply both the GPU gamma table correction AND a 3D LUT? Or just one or the other? And if I want both, should I have the “apply calibration” box checked? Again, I’m connecting my displays via GUI, not a decklink
    3. My XPS 15’s display is wide gamut, somewhere in between DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 I think. In resolve, I have to choose a particular color space as my output, be it Rec.709, DCI-P3, or Rec.2020. I don’t really care if I monitor in Rec.709 or DCI-P3, as long as my colors are accurate. But as I understand it, if I choose Rec.709 as my output in Resolve but my display is wide gamut, the results will be oversaturated, right? How do I ensure that the effective gamut of my display matches the output transform I choose in Resolve?

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant
    1. Colorimemter corrections or measurung device limitations. Common topic on this forum. Take a look on other threads.
    2. If want to keep grey calibration for all apps, when making LUT3D ensure that grey calibration is not applied to LUT3D (and that data from LUT3D was computed measuring your monitor with that GPU grey calibration applied)
    3. Use another LUT3D for XPS15. You’ll need to know backlight if measuring with colorimeter.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS