Failed to load ICC in GUI – LINUX – SOLVED, kind of. Need help.

Home Forums Help and Support Failed to load ICC in GUI – LINUX – SOLVED, kind of. Need help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jason1222
    Participant

Hi.

So, I can really use some help on this.  Everything is working great.  I profile my monitor, calibrate all my settings and generate my ICC profile for the system.

The GUI gives me the option to “load the profile” on startup for the system, and to preview the ICC that it will apply.  Up until this point, everything works great!

I than go to apply my ICC profile and that’s where I run into trouble.  “Failed to install […].icc”

🙁

This makes me very sad.  So I started digging, and digging some more.  I found the answer to my question.

The Guilty party/process is DISPWIN.

So, I load a terminal.

cd ~/.local/share/DisplayCal/storage/[calibrated monitor, time, etc.]/

dispwin -I [calibrated monitor, time, etc.].icc that was created from the GUI (displaycal)

“Dispwin: Error – Failed to install profile ‘HP Z24x…..icc’ !

Hmmm…  still no good.

Let’s try something else.  Something different, something that in no way, shape, form, size or color would ever work.

dispwin -vI [calibrated monitor, time, etc.].icc

About so set display to given calibration
    Calibration set

What??  Adding the v (Verbose) flag to dispwin before installing the profile, and it works???  WOW!!  Okay great. Why?  Who knows, but it works.

From here, I have 2 choices and LOTS of monitors.

1 – Write a simple shell script, set it to look for, change directory to and ultimately load the .icc profile using the methos mentionned above, with the verbose flag set.  I know this works.  So I can add it to /etc/profile.d on startup or what not…  I can work on the loading and unloading flags and or hot keys later.

2 – Ask on the forums here, what file(s) do I need to modify for the GUI version, so that on validation and application of the profile I have to modify in order to tell it in the code to use dispwin -vI instead of just dispwin -I

And with the same stone, help others by telling them that from a command line, you can apply your calibration, just as I have.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

dispwin -vI [calibrated monitor, time, etc.].icc

About so set display to given calibration
    Calibration set

What?? Adding the v (Verbose) flag to dispwin before installing the profile, and it works??? WOW!! Okay great. Why? Who knows, but it works.

You’re misinterpreting the output of dispwin. A flag -vI is not part of dispwin’s recognized options, it only sees the -v and the I is silently ignored. You could aswell have run dispwin -v profile.icc (or indeed, dispwin profile.icc) which just loads the calibration from the profile, but does not install it.

Jason1222
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Florian.

I understand exactly what you are saying.   System is running CentOS 6 and hopefully we will be migrating towards CentOS 7 within the next 90 days or so.

That being said, I’ll try and capture some screen shots of exactly what is happening.  The curious thing is, it does seem to be taking the -vI option.  I can see the color scheme update and the system returns a success.  The other methos you mentioned, still simply give a fail on the stdout.

I’ll take some screen shots, and although the differences are slight, I will see if I can add them here for analysis.  Any other logs or something I can send you to help me understand why the ICC is falining to save/load from the GUI?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The curious thing is, it does seem to be taking the -vI option. I can see the color scheme update and the system returns a success.

Well yes, that’s what dispwin profile.icc does, it loads the calibration from the profile’s ‘vcgt’ tag and sets the respective _ICC_PROFILE X atom. But it doesn’t install (copy) the profile anywhere, doesn’t register it with a profile to device mapping database (which would be the whole point of installing a profile), so it can’t subsequently be loaded by dispwin -L which would look at the database and determine the correct profile from there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS