Extremely low gamma after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Extremely low gamma after calibration

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

nimbulan
    Participant

I have two monitors, a Gigabyte G27Q (new, IPS) and a BenQ GW2470 (old, VA.)  I just calibrated the G27Q for the first time with my Spyder X, and found the resulting gamma to be extremely low (test charts show it in the 1.2-1.7 range.)  I recalibrated my GW2470 since it has been quite a while and obtained expected ~2.2 gamma results, using the same colorimeter.  The differences are very obvious looking at the two displays side by side with mid-tones being much darker on the G27Q.

I ran both calibrations again and obtained the same results.  I don’t understand how this is possible since I used the same settings in DisplayCal for both monitors.  Any advice would be appreciated.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

benjamin
    Participant

Hi, this once happened to me and I then realised that the crosshair cursor was turned on (in the monitors OSD) and affecting the reading.  This may not be the reason but I thought id suggest it anyway, just in case.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by benjamin.

Vincent
    Participant

Plot it, show it to us.
    Also SpyyderX are not as accurate as i1d3 devices because ther limited support of colorimeter corrections.
    Also make sure that you are using the proepr colorimeter correction (even limited and innacurate) bundled with Spyder. GW should be a sRGB LED => WHite LED. IDNK G27Q, if it is soem P3 gamming monitor try with WLED PFS phosphor as a “guess”.

nimbulan
    Participant

I’m not sure where to get the colorimeter correction from.  If I install the Spyder software and have DisplayCal do its import, I still have no corrections listed to choose from.

Here are the charts for my most recent calibration attempts.  Uncalibrated, the gamma response of the two displays seems to be pretty similar.  I’ll give the PFS WLED setting a try since I used the regular WLED before.

GW2470

GW2470

G27Q

G27Q

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by nimbulan.

Vincent
    Participant

It’s easier to see in a 2D plot where Y is gamma value and X is some (perhaps scaled from 0-100) value for color at LUT entry. For example on a measurement report.

nimbulan
    Participant

You’ll have to forgive me, I’m still learning how to use DisplayCal.  So strangely, if I do an uncalibrated display report, it indicates the gamma on the G27Q is 2.17, while appearing very similar visually to the calibrated GW2470.  After calibration, the G27Q is noticeably darker and here are the calibration report gamma graphs:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Seem fine. Bending of gamam ear black is expected, your display has not infinite contrast, hence you have to choose the lesser evil:
    -keep nominal value gamma the longest you can loosing tonal separation between greys and even grey color
    -keep grey color neutral (1st), keep grey separation (2nd), keep desired gamma target (3rd)

Second option is better.. and thats what you got. VA has at least twice contrast so it can keep nominal gamma value longed before bending.

nimbulan
    Participant

Well I’m confused about two things here.  Firstly, these charts are showing essentially identical gamma (other than the darkest shades, which is to be expected with the poor contrast ratio of IPS) yet visually the displays appear quite different.

Secondly, my previous TN panel monitor I replaced with the IPS did not exhibit this problem.  When calibrated, it matched the GW2470’s gamma nearly perfectly.  The contrast ratio is similarly low between TN and IPS so I can’t imagine that being the reason.

The only other difference I’m aware of between all these monitors is that the G27Q has a wider color gamut, but reducing the color saturation to exhibit color gamut similar to the GW2470 does not affect the calibration results.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by nimbulan.

Vincent
    Participant

Well I’m confused about two things here.  Firstly, these charts are showing essentially identical gamma (other than the darkest shades, which is to be expected with the poor contrast ratio of IPS) yet visually the displays appear quite different.

Where? not in gamma. Maybe they have different colorspace like G7 being some P3 display. This is a totally different topic that has been addressed in lots of threads. As a summary: use GPU sRGB emulation through EDID or use saturation controls with HCFR to get a sRGB-like mode for games and not color managed apps.

Secondly, my previous TN panel monitor I replaced with the IPS did not exhibit this problem.  When calibrated, it matched the GW2470’s gamma nearly perfectly.  The contrast ratio is similarly low between TN and IPS so I can’t imagine that being the reason.

Explained above, not in this message but in previous one, where I’ve explained all things that may need to be corrected in GPU LUTs and usual priority: grey color, grey tone separation, gamma…. because an opposite aproximation will cause clipping.

The only other difference I’m aware of between all these monitors is that the G27Q has a wider color gamut, but reducing the color saturation to exhibit color gamut similar to the GW2470 does not affect the calibration results.

So we have the smoking gun then.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

nimbulan
    Participant

So if I’m understanding you correctly… colors (most noticeably greys) appearing significantly darker on this display post-calibration compared to other displays is not a gamma problem, but a result of wider color gamut?  And I thought I was finally starting to understand some of this.

Vincent
    Participant

I have not said such thing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS