Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Home Forums Help and Support Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

David C
    Participant

First, thank you for DisplayCAL, it’s fantastic!

I hate to even mention a bug, but I think I might have found one or else maybe someone can suggest some mistake I’m making…

• I recently got an eecolor box.
    • I generated several 3D LUTS experimenting with it. It’s worth noting that I did not realize you could generate a new LUT without re-profiling, so I profiled and generated several 3D LUTS successfully.
    • Suddenly my LUTS always have severe glitches in them. Not some banding that you see on a gradient (gradient looks fine), but huge color errors that are seemingly random and pop up in content.
    • Retried settings straight from preset multiple times, (except to enable white drift for the OLED target).
    • Decided maybe something was in a bad state with the application (on Linux). Installed fresh on a macbook, profiled and generated from scratch using default settings (except white drift and more patches). Same noise!

The only thing I can think of is that the first profile that the LUTS that worked were done before I took the upgrade to Argyll. But the notes didn’t seem to indicate that it should have affected me and I can’t think how it would anyway. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have any way to remember which version I had, but I think it was the one just prior to the latest.

So it is:

Linux, next to latest version of Argyll, i1 Display pro, LG OLED, eecolor – worked great.

Linux or OSX, latest version of Argyll, i1 Display pro, LG OLED, eecolor – apparently arbitrary garbage in generated LUTs.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

please attach the profiles + 3D LUTs + logs (in DisplayCAL, use the “Create compressed archive…” button next to “Settings” with the respective profile selected, and choose to include the 3D LUTs).

David C
    Participant

Thank you for your response!

I think this should be the right stuff. I said to include 3D-LUT.

I will also attach a picture after this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

David C
    Participant

Ok, this doesn’t come across too well (photo of TV from iPhone shrug). It is shocking in real life!

Here you see purple blotches in the “calibrated” image that you don’t see in the regular…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

David C
    Participant

(I found it a confusing as I apparently had to connect the TV back to access the profile(?) It’s never really been clear to me how to select a profile, I just seem to have the last one available if the device setup is the same. There’s only one profile ever done on this computer so if that’s valid then it’s the correct one).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I think this should be the right stuff. I said to include 3D-LUT.

Thanks. The profile is faulty. I re-generated it from the measurement data using the same version of DisplayCAL and Argyll under El Capitan as well as Windows 10, and the resulting profile is fine. I wonder where the corruption comes from? Can you try re-generating the profile (menu “File”, “Create profile from measurement data…”, select existing profile) and see if the problem is reproducible?

David C
    Participant

Ok, I am working on it and will let you know….

David C
    Participant

Ok, I’m not really sure how you wanted me to verify them. I regenerated the profile and generated 3D luts as before (it did the first one automatically).

I did a “diff” between the 3D LUT files and the errant ones and they are identical.

The regeneration process did not display any errors.

Is there something I should check, or is this one just a mystery?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I did a “diff” between the 3D LUT files and the errant ones and they are identical.

Ok, so Argyll CMS seems to not be working correctly on your system (anymore?). Weird. Have you tried removing and re-downloading the latest Argyll CMS executables?

David C
    Participant

Well I had a problem on an entirely different Linux system which is the reason I was trying the OSX system, but, it wasn’t the EXACT same problem. You could see something that looked similar but was more like horribly quantized values than complete garbage. I copied these measurements to that Linux system and got an apparently valid 3D LUT that was not the same as from OSX.

Possible I had some other issue with the Linux system that gave me a bad table coincidently and this misled me into assuming a DisplayCAL error. I checked and the OSX did have some old version installed. I deleted it then when I clicked something in displayCAL it tried to call up the executable from the old install and gave me an error. So maybe it was calling one of the Argyll utilities from the old version too.

I will completely reinstall tomorrow and verify to you that was the error so you know there’s not a bug. I’m already pretty confident that was it. In either case thank you for your time!

S Simeonov
    Participant

Regarding the 3DLUT, today I calibrated a DELL U2414H, the standart calibration was fine, but when I created a 3DLUT for madvr(from the preset menu), it had purple color points on the blue colors. Any idea how to fix it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

[…] when I created a 3DLUT for madvr(from the preset menu), it had purple color points on the blue colors

Check the 3D LUT with a granger rainbow.

S Simeonov
    Participant

[…] when I created a 3DLUT for madvr(from the preset menu), it had purple color points on the blue colors

What do you mean by that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can search for and download any granger rainbow image (but make sure it is high quality) and view it in (e.g.) MPC-HC.

S Simeonov
    Participant

You can search for and download any granger rainbow image (but make sure it is high quality) and view it in (e.g.) MPC-HC.

Will do, the first thing tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS