Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Home Forums Help and Support Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author

((( atom )))
    Participant

So I tried that, but it seems the -E in dispcal and dispread didn’t  catch. I got the exact same result as before. Black unter 20-something simply gone and the picture too red, especially in darker areas.

Is there a way for me to check any logs for the actual commandline transmitted? I can run another measurement tonight, perhaps starting displaycal from commandline and pipe the output.

I shortly checked what would happen if I set the GPU to limited as well and took out the -E options (woke up around five, so I had some night-time left..). Using the resulting LUT I got way better blacks, picture still reddish in the dark bits. This is not acourate though, since around 6 it started getting bright and even though I have a Molton-curtain in  the living room, there is still some light coming through, so the measurement must have suffered at some point (set it to shortly under 2h). For playback I now had to set kodi to full of course, which I would rather not, due to the recommendation from the wiki.

A long journey… 😉

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there a way for me to check any logs for the actual commandline transmitted?

Sure, just check the logfiles that are created alongside the profile.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Well, I guess it is better to take it one step at a time, so I measured:

Measurement:
    GPU: limited output
    Projecteor: limited input
    Preset madvr with gamma adjusted to 2.2

Playback in kodi: full
    Without the 3DLUT loaded: Black distinguishable down to 19, white up to 234.
    With the 3DLUT loaded into kodi: Black distinguishable down to 19, white up to 251.

Looking at a greyscale step pattern, the last step before black is very reddish.
    Looking at a movie with lots of dark-red textures in the picture (like e.g. Dr. Strange’s opening Scene) these parts look terrible, while bright scenes have very vivid yet balanced colors.

I would be great if you could look into the attached .zip, it is not very far from being right, still it is unusable.

http://.komeda-berlin.de/RS40-RGB-LIMITED-GPU_JVC_dns.%231.2017-04-12.00-04_0.3127x%200.329y_.S.XYZLUT.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Nicola

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The Spyder has serious trouble reading low light levels, and this shows in the measurements. My recommendation would be to try without the spectral correction (set to “None”), and/or reduce the number of patches. The levels issue seems fixed though, so that has worked.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Thx, I will try, but how comes I did have better results (at least in the dark areas) using the icc-profile?

((( atom )))
    Participant

..btw, just picked a movie with nearly no scenes playing in the dark and the colors are stunning! 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thx, I will try, but how comes I did have better results (at least in the dark areas) using the icc-profile?

Depends on what you mean by “using”. Unless you used a ICC color managed application, and had the profile installed to the system, and the application was actually using the profile, it has no effect whatsoever.

((( atom )))
    Participant

I started the x-server, loaded the .icc profile using dispwin and then started kodi. I believe to remember having toggled through different profiles I made and saw differences.

Are you telling me, I saw what I wanted to see? That would be really funny…

Bad thing is that kodi actually has support for loading .icc profiles as well, but they only show up on my notebook. On my dedicated kodi machine, I am not seeing the option to load .icc prifiles. I asked around in the forums and was told to install liblcms2 in order to make it show up but that didn’t do the trick.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I started the x-server, loaded the .icc profile using dispwin and then started kodi. I believe to remember having toggled through different profiles I made and saw differences.

You’re only seeing the effect of any 1D calibration (vcgt) being loaded into the videoLUT. Think of calibration being part of adjstment prior to profiling. The profiles you sent me have linear vcgt, so only other profiles with a non-linear vcgt will actually change the videoLUT from linear.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Ok, thought about this as well. What I did was profiling using my laptop. After the profiling was finished, displaycal asked if I wanted  to preview-load the profile before installing it. I did. saw the colors changed immediately and started kodi to compare the colors. I believe they were better.

Next I decided this was worth it and gave up my raspberry kodi player and got a fancy new x86-machine, able to do hevc in hardware, and loaded the lut using dispwin before starting kodi. I think I remember having checked the effect, but I measured and compared so much the last weeks, I might be “betriebsblind” 😉 Anyway, that lead me to the assumption that the meter can’t be all wrong and made me wonder what the difference is with 3DLUTs.

This is of course the machine I use for measuring right now and I do not load anything prior to measuring, only prior to viewing.

Forgive me, but this is all new to me, actually I am an audio-guy, using multiway-convolution with brutefir. 🙂 There I am at home and /answer/ stupid questions.. 😉

((( atom )))
    Participant

Measured again, set spectral correction to “none” and use less patches, same result, all is reddish..

Any other suggestions? What is really strage, is that when starting the initial measurement, I already get too much green displayed, meaning, I should actually change the calibration. The calibration though was made using hcfr and gives me neutral colors. Been using it for weeks now and grey seems gray, white white and black black. This is independent of brightness. How can it be that displaycal comes up with such different result?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Measured again, set spectral correction to “none” and use less patches, same result, all is reddish..

Your Spyder’s white reading of your projector is probably not too accurate without a correction, so you may want to keep the measured white by setting 3D LUT rendering intent to “relative colorimetric”.

As the Spyder has issues with low light measurements, you may also want to use a profile type that applies more smoothing to the measurements, i.e. use “Single curve + matrix”.

How can it be that displaycal comes up with such different result?

If you want the measurements to match, you need to use the exact same measurement mode and correction in both programs.

((( atom )))
    Participant

The white reading may be off but then how could I get good results using hcfr in the first place? Shouldn’t it have the same reddish look after initial calibration?? As far as I remember I used no correction for the spyder in hcfr, I will check that.

And thx again for your patience. I will try what you sugested and I might also try and measure again with hcfr to compare.

Besides, which meter would you suggest?

David C
    Participant

Besides, which meter would you suggest?

For personal use IMO the I1 Display is almost the only price/performance option there is.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Well, since I don’t want to spend every other night leaving the projector on when I go to bed because it needs a couple ef hours for a measurement that will dissapoint me the next night, I just ordered an i1 Display Pro.

What good is good support if the hardware is just crap? I fugured the only way to find out is to get hardware that is known to be good and compare. Bummer is, I just spent money on the spyder5, but maybe I can sell that again..

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS