Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Home Forums Help and Support Extreme glitches in 3D lut

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author

S Simeonov
    Participant

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach the profile please.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Attach the profile please.

Here it is including the 3dlut 🙂

http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/hGSJ6x7z/file.html

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, contrary to what I originally thought, this seemingly is not a problem with the profile(s), but with Argyll 1.9.2’s collink tool. I’m still not sure what is causing it as my own 3D LUTs created with Argyll 1.9.2’s collink are fine, but I can reproduce the botched 3D LUTs with the profiles in this thread, and get rid of it by re-generating the 3D LUTs with Argyll 1.8.3’s collink instead (using the existing profiles).

S Simeonov
    Participant

Ok, contrary to what I originally thought, this seemingly is not a problem with the profile(s), but with Argyll 1.9.2’s collink tool. I’m still not sure what is causing it as my own 3D LUTs created with Argyll 1.9.2’s collink are fine, but I can reproduce the botched 3D LUTs with the profiles in this thread, and get rid of it by re-generating the 3D LUTs with Argyll 1.8.3’s collink instead (using the existing profiles).

Thank you for the fast reply, i’ll replace argyll 1.9.2 with argyll 1.8.3, to re-generate and test again the 3DLUT.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you for the fast reply, i’ll replace argyll 1.9.2 with argyll 1.8.3, to re-generate and test again the 3DLUT.

It should suffice to just replace collink.

S Simeonov
    Participant

It should suffice to just replace collink.

I did a fast switch from argyll versions, and the 3DLUT seems fine now, thank you again. 😀

David C
    Participant

On my side I totally gutted displayCAL/Argyll on OSX, reinstalled, and … [embarrassing] lost the test samples that way so I couldn’t regenerate. [/embarrassing]

I did another calibration from scratch and it was all weird in other ways, like the gamma curve was a freaky “L” shape – no way correct. All I can guess is maybe for one of a dozen possible reasons I’m not getting “pure” HDMI output from that MacBook Air.

I installed it all on a laptop with Windows 10, used it from there, and it worked excellent. I refuse to give Windows any of the credit! I think it’s maybe all just tested and fussed over better on that OS 🙂

((( atom )))
    Participant

Hi, I am the new one.. 😉

First of all, GREAT TOOL! Thx for that!

I am using it with a Spyder5 colorimeter to create profiles for use in my kodi-box, this is a new feature of kodi.

icc-profiles work fine though but 3dluts show quite the symptoms I see in the pictures above.

Since the 3dluts only seem to work for video in kodi, I would like to check with a granger rainbow video, but I can’t seem to find one. Any hints on where to get one?

I would try to change the argyll-version but I cannot find any old versions in the repository of arch nor online.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Old Argyll versions can be downloaded by changing the version number of the current downloads by hand, i.e.

http://argyllcms.com/Argyll_V1.8.3_win64_exe.zip

I’ll likely repackage the current 1.9.2 with some of the 1.8.3 binaries if this keeps up before a new version of Argyll is released.

((( atom )))
    Participant

OK, thx for the hint. Doesn’t look good, though. It won’t compile. It is using jam, I have no experience with it and it spits out pages of erors, which I can’t make much sense of. Seems mostly code-related, doesn’t look like missing dependencies. I will keep on trying a bit, but it doesn’t look promising.. ;(

((( atom )))
    Participant

Ok, found the trick to get the previous versions in arch, the downgrader. Creating a new 3dlut now, I will report back..

((( atom )))
    Participant

It is somewhat better now, but still not ok. The picture is too dark – I have to raise brightness quite a bit  to get proper black-levels and it is reddish and I have banding-artifacts. The improvement might come from the older argyll-version now or from an improvement in my last measurement. Before I had tried profiling using full RGB-output from my grafics card an 16-235 input on my projector. Last night I ran another measurement using full RGB on bot the grafics card and the projector input. Today I used that measurement.

If I load the .icc-profile into the X-Server, everything looks natural and my black-level is nearly where it should be (I raise brightness by 1% to make black 17 distinguishible from 16).

This video-level thing is confusing to me. I use 16-235 in kodi and 16-235 on my projector, running the grafics card on full RGB. That is what is widely suggested. If it is correct I don’t know, because I don’t fully understand.

Maybe I am doing something fundamentaly wrong. Here’s what I did:

Under settings I chose video 3dlut for madvr.

Under Display and Device (or similar, I have it in German) I chose the projector as displaying device, I chose “refresh generic, and the spectral: projector correction. Nothing more.

Under calibration I chose interactive but didn’t make any changes when it ran (projector was set up using hcfr).

Under profiling I left everything as it was and

under 3dlut I changed the gamma to 2.2.
    It says “apply calibration”, so i understand it is embedding the icc into the 3dlut and I don’t load it system-wide?
    Input coding say TV-RGB 16-235 as well as the greyed out output encoding.
    What exactly does this mean? That I have to set my projector to 16-235 on input or that it will transform my full RGB-input into 16-235 by expanding this smaller range into full RGB?

I’d like to try 3dluts, since besides from the problems, it seems to produce even more vivid colors than only using the icc-profile. It would be great to have that, especially since the projector can output amazing quality if fed right.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It is somewhat better now, but still not ok. The picture is too dark – I have to raise brightness quite a bit to get proper black-levels and it is reddish and I have banding-artifacts.

That doesn’t sound like the regression in Argyll 1.9.x that’s been discussed here.

Before I had tried profiling using full RGB-output from my grafics card an 16-235 input on my projector.

That doesn’t make sense. Either use full or limited throughout the whole chain.

Under Display and Device (or similar, I have it in German) I chose the projector as displaying device, I chose “refresh generic, and the spectral: projector correction. Nothing more.

Enable white level drift compensation, projectors have a tendency to not produce stable light output over prolonged periods of time.

It says “apply calibration”, so i understand it is embedding the icc into the 3dlut and I don’t load it system-wide?

Apply calibration, as the name suggests, applies the 1D calibration to the 3D LUT, so you have to make sure it is not loaded in another way or the 1D calibration is applied twice.  Do not apply the calibration to the 3D LUT if you plan to apply it via the X server (i.e. by installing the profile and making sure the system loads the calibration from the profile).

What type of 3D LUT format are you creating, i.e. what does Kodi support under Linux?

((( atom )))
    Participant

I don’t manage to quote as nicely as you do in this forum, so I’ll just wirte it down one by one.. 😉

Regarding the different RGB-levels throughout the chain you might take a look at this and tell me what you make of it. It is from the official kodi-wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space
    As I understand, the video at some point has to be transformed from 16-235 the full RGB of the panel. The article deals with the actual when. http://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space

White level drift I will try, sure. Thx.

Application of icc.profile:
    Ok, so I got that one right and I didn’t load the profile into the X-server when trying the 3dlut.

I am creating the madvr-format, as that is the only one that kodi understands. Comes from here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=202691

What really puzzles me, is that the icc profile displaycal generates for me displays correct brightness and correct colors and the 3dlut comes out darker and reddish. How can that be? I read a lot on how to set things up right and I described what I did aboce.

It might of course be that the 3dlut implementation in kodi is faulty, but reading the thread above I got the imression that it would work as expected.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS