External monitor calibration with laptop

Home Forums Help and Support External monitor calibration with laptop

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

SC1234
    Participant

This problem should be easy, but somehow I’m not able to calibrate my external monitor using my laptop. In Photoshop, the colors still appear to be off. What I did:

Installed Displaycal and went thru calibration steps using Spyder 2 Express.  I know this is not capable of supporting 2 monitors, but I don’t care if my laptop colors look bad.  When I use ‘Proof Colors’ option in Photoshop, the colors don’t look right.

my gear:

Colorvision Spyder2 Express

HP  Elitebook  laptop

windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

Acer K272HUL bmiidp 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) Widescreen Display

thank you

SC1234
    Participant

I received this error message: Argyll CMS xicclu: Invalid Primary R XYZ: 0.1628 0.1693 0.1406

Next dialog box says, “Profiling not finished”

not sure what it means

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by SC1234.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Installed Displaycal and went thru calibration steps using Spyder 2 Express. I know this is not capable of supporting 2 monitors, but I don’t care if my laptop colors look bad. When I use ‘Proof Colors’ option in Photoshop, the colors don’t look right.

Attach both the spyder software profile and DisplayCAL profile please. It would help if you could explain what exactly you mean by “colors don’t look right” and which exact softproofing settings you used. Also note that softproofing usually involves a printer profile.

I received this error message: Argyll CMS xicclu: Invalid Primary R XYZ: 0.1628 0.1693 0.1406

The measured color was a gray-ish tone where a reddish tone was expected. There is a possibility that the filters in your Spyder2 have degraded to a point where it is cannot provide useful measurements anymore.

SC1234
    Participant

I ran the calibration again.  This time, I used the factory default settings.  I could never get the screen colors to come close to the needles on the sliding scale in the beginning.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SC1234
    Participant

Measurement reports attached in previous post.  Additional reports attached here.

Photoshop photo has a yellowish greenish tint.

Attachments:

SC1234
    Participant

Profiles attached

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Those profiles look absolutely fine technically, but the display whitepoint for both of them is pretty far from the daylight locus (“natural” white) and has a green-ish hue.

I could never get the screen colors to come close to the needles on the sliding scale in the beginning.

Probably an effect of the instrument’s filter degradation.

SC1234
    Participant

Which ‘best value’ instrument do you recommend as a replacement? I am a hobbyist so  don’t want to spend too much money, Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The ColorMunki Display is a good choice.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

SC1234
    Participant

I was making a mistake  in using monitor  controls. Instead of ‘color temperature’, I was changing ‘hue’. Once I recognized the problem, the monitor calibrated very well.  Much better colors now. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS