Every rec 709 calibration coming out red.

Home Forums Help and Support Every rec 709 calibration coming out red.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Commonlore
    Participant

Hey, So I have been working on calibrating an old HP LP2480zx and I am having no luck at all. I have it connected via a Intenisty pro 4k and have been trying to create a 3dlut for rec709 through resolve to compensate for the already red cast of this dying monitor. But every time I run a profile the lut that comes out is red red red. I ran a profile on an 8bit oled monitor I have as well and it was red too. So it isn’t just the monitor….. I am using an X-rite idisplay.

Should I not be able to create a 3dlut without applying  vcgt and then take that lut apply it as the 3dlut for video monitoring in Resolve to have the colors be calibrated?

I just don’t understand why I can’t get it to be anything but almost all red. I’ve attached my settings and a picture of the result. This lut was based off a very small test chart size, because I’ve been doing it so many times and getting just red I didn’t want to sit for an hour as it punched out another useless red lut.

I feel like I just have one setting somewhere wrong, or a driver that needs updating, but I have been bashing my head against a wall for two days trying to figure this out. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

YCbCr is definitely not what you want for 3D LUT encoding when using Resolve. Use full range RGB as 3D LUT input/output encoding.

To verify the 3D LUT, enable “Use simulation profile” and enable device link profile on the “Verification” tab.

Commonlore
    Participant

Thanks for the response, I’m a little out of my depth here, figured I was just doing something wrong. I’ll give it a go with your advice.

Thanks.

Commonlore
    Participant

Ok, I’ve redone it with those changes, but it didn’t seem to change much, it just “added” a little contrast but the monitor still has a slight redish hue to it. Not crazy crazy red like before when I was using YCbCr, but not correct…. Is there something I’m missing? creating a 3d lut should normalize the colors shouldn’t it? shift it from the red?

I can’t set the RGB channels independently on the monitor, but I thought making a lut would kind of work around that limitation.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you want the 3D LUT to use the target whitepoint (Rec. 709 “D65” 0.3127 0.329), you have to use absolute colorimetric + whitepoint scaling as rendering intent.

Vincent
    Participant

Did you try to use RGB-LED correction for your i1D3? It’s bundled in i1Profiler software, you can import it to DisplayCAL

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Commonlore
    Participant

Still no luck, I used the absolute colorimetric and whitepoint scaling as rendering intent and imported the RGB-LED correction. I just can’t seem to get it to calibrate out the red. I just don’t understand. I’ve been able to do an ICC profile with this monitor hooked up as a GUI that looked not too bad, but I can’t seem to make a 3Dlut that does anything close. I feel like if an ICC profile can cancel out the red and gives something that looks ok, then a 3Dlut should be able to do the same only much better no?

Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Red compared to what?

Commonlore
    Participant

Well, compared to how it looks calibrated as a GUI with an ICC profile, and as compared to the other ICC calibrate GUI monitor running Resolve with the color patches. I know the monitor has a very red cast to it, but it doesn’t seem like the 3Dluts do anything to compensate for it, where as the ICC profile does. When the white patches are up, they are pink on the Hp LP2480. The measurement reports also show that nothing is within tolerance after profiling with a 3Dlut. Would it make a difference profiling it as a GUI monitor and then save the 3Dlut from that? Could it have something to do with profiling it through resolve, the Intensity pro? I’m really at a loss.

I’m just confused as to why it isn’t really doing anything except adding a bit of “contrast” to the image after profiling. It just doesn’t seem to be working.

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, compared to how it looks calibrated as a GUI with an ICC profile

When you use the exact same target whitepoint, there should be no difference between the white via 1D calibration or a 3D LUT. If you see a difference, it likely comes down to a wrong setting somewhere (Resolve’s GUI is affected by the 1D calibration, so you have to make sure you don’t apply it to the 3D LUT if used for the GUI viewer as mentioned in the Resolve 3D LUT workflow Wiki entry).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS