2019-08-28 at 7:20 #19782
Hello, I keep getting a NoneType error on startup. I can still click around in the program when this happens, but if I try to, say, install a profile, it will throw another error and the entire UI locks up.
I have seen other people with this error, and followed the proposed solutions there. I uninstalled DisplayCAL, used Display Driver Utility to uninstall all driver software for both GPUs in my system (integrated and dedicated), and then installed the latest version of DisplayCAL – 3.8.5. That didn’t work. This happened when I was on Windows 10 1809, and I thought upgrading to W10 1903 might fix any issues in my system files. Still getting the same errors in DisplayCAL.
Any help would be appreciated. I attached my log and a screenshot of the errors, though it looks like the log has them anyway.
2019-08-28 at 10:17 #19786
- This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Fluvance.
The NoneType error is harmless, the actual error is the dialog box behind it (probably not display driver related, possibly USB).
C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Roaming\DisplayCAL\dl\Argyll_V2.1.1\bin\dispcal.exe -v -D8 -dcc:? -?from a command prompt and attach (do not paste directly) the output as text file.2019-08-29 at 0:54 #19792
Thanks for the reply. I attached the output.2019-08-29 at 1:21 #19794
That looks normal. How long did it take to finish? Is your instrument connected?2019-09-01 at 6:33 #19859
Ah nope didn’t have the instrument connected. Took about 20 seconds.
Managed to fix my problem somehow while fixing a problem I had in the new Windows 10 update.. For anyone in the future with this problem: I had to install a very old update for my Intel graphics chip. Version 184.108.40.206.4256 available here: (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit).
It doesn’t fully make sense. DisplayCAL was working fine a couple months ago last time I calibrated. Back then, I was on the latest Intel graphics drivers. So I’m not sure what changed recently that caused DisplayCAL to not work with the same setup. To make it more confusing, I actually reverted Windows back to the previous update today as I was having issues with 1903. Which meant my Intel driver was reverted to the latest version again, and yet DisplayCAL is working fine. So, I’m clueless, but it’s working. No errors, it connects to the instrument and measures fine.
Anyway, thanks for your help!2019-09-02 at 12:58 #19884
Probably not display driver related then. It is uncommon for instrument enumeration to take 20 seconds – usually it takes 2-3 seconds. DisplayCAL has a enumeration timeout of 10 seconds at launch time.2019-09-04 at 21:22 #19979
Now that DisplayCAL is working fine, I ran the command again, this time with my instrument attached. Took 10 seconds. DisplayCAL also takes exactly 10 seconds to launch for me, if that’s relevant to the timeout. Doesn’t give any warnings though. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working.2019-09-04 at 21:50 #19981
Still uncommon to take such a long time, and it is dangerously close to the timeout of 10 seconds. When you run the command from command prompt, can you see the place(s) where it takes the most time?2019-09-04 at 22:20 #19982
It’s pausing when it attempts to open COM ports 6 and 7, which then fail. I have one other COM port in use, 8, but that doesn’t fail.
icoms_set_ser_port: about to open serial port 'COM6' icoms_set_ser_port: open port '\\.\COM6' failed with LastError 121 fser_inst_type: set_ser_port failed with 0x20000
PowerShell shows that 6 and 7 are both used for Bluetooth modems/serial connections. I disabled both of them in Device Manager and the command completed within 3 seconds. DisplayCAL also opens a bit faster now, around 7 seconds on an SSD. Not sure why those two Bluetooth ports are failing. I could try reinstalling my Bluetooth drivers, but my Bluetooth headphones connect and play fine, so probably just leave them disabled.2019-09-04 at 22:59 #19984
Ok. It’s not a problem that those ports are failing to open when nothing is connected to them, it is just unfortunate for it to take so long. I’ll increase the overall timeout to 20 seconds, that should be enough for such cases.
I’m pretty sure these ports are just some backwards compatibility feature of the Bluetooth drivers you have installed (or devices you have connected) that will allow older software without direct Bluetooth support to access Bluetooth devices via a legacy COM port interface, but as you noted, modern software using Bluetooth will work regardless (because it does not use those legacy interfaces). It’s probably best to keep those COM ports disabled if you do not need them.2019-09-05 at 0:11 #19986
Awesome, thanks a lot for your help!