Error with Colormunki

Home Forums Help and Support Error with Colormunki

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Riley Escobar
    Participant

I got a new computer, and installed DisplayCAL 3.8.3 and tried to calibrate my monitor using a Colormunki Display, but got an “error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failure’ ” message. I’ve attached the log file.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure no other software is grabbing the instrument. If you happen to use Gigabyte RGB Fusion, disable it, it affects USB devices it does not recognize (HID devices like your i1D3).

Riley Escobar
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response.

I don’t see Gigabyte RBG Fusion in my installed programs. I have an Alienware Aurora, and it does have LED lights on the case, apparently controlled by Alienware Command Center, is that what you’re talking about?

I had DisplayCal installed on my previous PC, and the results looked good. Running the x-Rite progam on this new PC doesn’t give me anything close to what I had before, so I’m anxious to get Displaycal working.

Riley Escobar
    Participant

I was able to get  my Spyder4 to run, but still can’t get the Colormunki Display to work.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Alienware Command Center

Is it also dealing with USB devices, like keyboards and other peripherals? If yes, that might be the reason.

Riley Escobar
    Participant

So I got DisplayCal to work by pretty much disabling all the programs in the Startup folder.

Next problem is the colors don’t look like they used to with my older PC, specifically the reds which are either too orange or too dull, like an Adobe RGB colorspace photo that wasn’t converted to SRGB.

Any suggestions? Also, should I do a total reset of my monitor settings before doing the calibration?

Vincent
    Participant

Next problem is the colors don’t look like they used to with my older PC, specifically the reds which are either too orange or too dull, like an Adobe RGB colorspace photo that wasn’t converted to SRGB.

Attach profile so people here can see calibration curves and how your monitor behaves after calibration. Then people may guess what is going on.

Riley Escobar
    Participant

Here’s the latest one that was just created. Monitor is an ASUS PA246, and video card is an RTX 2080.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Here’s the latest one that was just created. Monitor is an ASUS PA246, and video card is an RTX 2080.

All seems OK for a Widegamut CCFL calibrated & profiled in native gamut mode (maybe Standard or Custom OSD modes, IDNK exact names).
    Make sure you are using DisplayPort and you configured 10bpc in nvidia panel to avoid some issues like banding caused by GPU or limited range issues with HDMI.

If you see a more “orange/vermillion” color for AdobeRGB red 255 in a color managed apps, maybe you switched your OSD mode to “AdobeRGB” but keep attached profile as default display profile (so you are desaturating everything in grey-red axis). A profile verification in DisplayCAL of this profile with your current setup will show that issue too.
    The profile you made is only valid while you keep your monitor in the OSD mode you chose when you made it. Each OSD mode needs its own profile, customized (like this) or “generic” (if you trust that undefined thing called factory calibration)

Of course in non color managed applications if you use the OSD mode that was chosen to make this ICM profile you’ll see everything oversaturated.

Vincent
    Participant

Just to check… make sure that you chose “Widegamut CCFL” spectral correction for your munki display (WGCCFLFamily_07Feb11.ccss, WG CCFL NEC241 271)

Riley Escobar
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I selected Widegamut as suggested. Now the colors look washed out lol!
    2. I was using HDMI, so I switched to Display Port. When I pick 10bpc, the display goes blank.
    3. Last-ditch effort, I’ve increased the Saturation setting on the monitor from the default to a higher saturation, and now the colors look better. But that’s probably thrown the calibration out of whack 🙁

Vincent
    Participant

1- the proper way to measure a display like PA246 (widegamut ccfl) with a colorimeter from i1d3 family like yours is to use WG CCFL correction.

2- if your display+card does not support 10bpc then you may suffer some GPU LUT truncation errors that result in banding. Visual check with a smooth black to white gradient in MS Paint, like lagom test gradient (save PNG, open in paint).

3-the proper way to evaluate a image in a widegamut is to use an application with color management.
    For example an sRGB image/psd with 3 stripes painted with sRGB 255 red green and blue.
    They have to look more desaturated in red and green than if you do not use color management, I mean different from the same image opened in MS Paint (and different from what you see in most web browsers), different form native red and green 255 as you see in DisplayCAL gamut plot for the profile you attached before.
    If you wish to see things in the same way (as intended) in Firefox browser, activate its full color management mode, relative colorimetric intent, and enable v2 LUT & v4 profiles. Due to some rounding errors (Firefox needs to be fast regardless of the computer) you may see banding in gradients while in Firefox.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS