Error – ‘Instrument Access Failed’ for LCD White LED Mode

Home Forums Help and Support Error – ‘Instrument Access Failed’ for LCD White LED Mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

kumo
    Participant

I’m using a SpyderX Pro and I’m getting this error only when I’m trying to calibrate my Dell S2721DGF Monitor in the LCD White LED mode.

I tried using USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and installing/uninstalling ArgyIICMS drivers but still having the same issue. Everything works fine when I calibrate the monitor under the  Generic mode, but I want to calibrate with the WLED mode since my monitor uses that type of panel. I’ve also attached logs regarding the error as well.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Urushibara
    Participant

I have the same issue.

I can calibrate with the SpyderX Generic mode but both my monitors have a W-LED as backlight which fails with that same error message, and even the log where the “Communication Error” occurs is the same. I’ll add that in a bit as the device is currently at my brothers.

Please help, would like to calibrate on the correct mode.

rafale
    Participant

Hello~! I had the exact same problem with the same monitor, S2721DGF, somehow after 8 hours of messing around I managed to solve it~!! I created an account just to share in case it helps!

I did the typical steps that were given::

• Download and unzip the Argyll CMS into a folder, directly inside the drive. In my case it was “C:\Argyll_V2.3.0”.
    • Disable the igfx tray module (igfxtray.exe),  igfxpph module (igfxpph.dll) and the persistence module (igfxpers.exe).
    • Follow the whole installation guide including rebooting with the Disable Driver Signature Enforcement part.

Up to this point, none of these actually solved the issue for me. I’m listing them as a list of check points just in case. What finally solved the issue for me was going to File > Locate ArgyllCMS executables (navigate to the folder I’d originally extracted the files to “C:\Argyll_V2.3.0\bin”).

I’m not a tech expert, so there are probably people laughing at how I’ve finally got to this point.  My guess is that the ArgyllCMS did not actually install the latest version until that last bit.  Hoping it might help others as well~!

Urushibara
    Participant

My guess is that the ArgyllCMS did not actually install the latest version until that last bit.

You could be on to something. The logging console shows “ArgyllCMS 2.1.2” and the folder is named “Argyll_V2.1.2”.

I’ll test that part later today or tomorrow. Maybe the changelog of ArgyllCMS itself shows that the SpyderX was added in a later version.

Urushibara
    Participant

Can’t seem to edit my post, so I have to add it like this (if any mod would be so kind to add this to my previous post, it would be awesome)

Had a look at the ArgyllCMS changelog from 2.1.2 all the way up to 2.3.0, and I think I found something very interesting in the changelog for 2.2.1 -> 2.3.0. It reads something like this:

Added icomuf_reset_before_close flag for SpyderX, as some versions of the instrument have been reported to lock up after use.

I think that could be the whole issue, as the log in DisplayCAL shows this “lock up” behavior.

Will report back as soon as I’m able to test and verify this.

Urushibara
    Participant

Alright, I’m back with my report:

Switching from the internal ArgyllCMS V2.1.2 to the separately downloaded ArgyllCMS 2.3.0 was all that I had to do.

I was able to calibrate both monitors on W-LED and 833 fields without any issue.
    You will get an occasionally “Device Disconnected” sound from Windows, but don’t let that fool you, that is how it’s supposed to work.
    Apparently, the Argyll V2.3.0 reconnects the SpyderX so fast that Windows only gets the disconnect sound out. It will work though!

Maybe the devs might consider to at least update the Argyll DisplayCAL comes with?
    Also, this might be useful enough to have it in a sticky post for others?

Now all I have to do is figuring out which settings to use for mainly gaming and occasionally photoshop. Guess sRGB would be a better choice than Gamma 2.2?

Anyway, thanks @rafale for the solution! Guess I can return the active USB 2.0 hub I ordered because of the USB 3.0 issues mentioned with the x-rite devices.

rafale
    Participant

I’m super elated it helped you!! XD

I’m glad you were able to dig in deeper to the possible root of the problem, I found the log but it was utter gibberish to me. I was ready to yeet the calibrator back to Amazon by the time it finally worked! Hopefully the OP and any others with this issue might be able to benefit as well.

As for actual calibration settings, I followed along Hardware Unboxed’s guide, and he also suggested sRGB 🙂 I’m using my monitors for the same functions as you, gaming and Photoshop.

Urushibara
    Participant

Thanks for the video link.

Just calibrated my main monitor “BenQ Zowie XL2730” using the sRGB preset in White LED mode to 120cd/m2, and I don’t know. The colors look fine but overall it looks light, like everything that should be dark seems too bright, but the report says black luminance is around 0,18cd/m2, and the contrast is somewhere around 680:1 while it should be around 1000:1.
    On the bright side though, this monitor should cover sRGB to around 95% and the calibration said it’s 106%, so there’s an improvement in this area.

So I did a bit of research and found 3 reviews who actually “calibrated” (apparently without profiles, just measure and set on the monitor) this monitor and show their data. From what I’ve gathered, the black luminance should be around 0.12cd/m2 for the white luminance of 120cd/m2 with a contrast of around 928:1. I also noticed that they all use vastly different RGB values than what I get when I use the interactive calibration and set the monitors’ gamma setting from 3 (default) all the way down to 5.

I’ll recalibrate to the suggested 150cd/m2 (lit room) and probably go back to the “Gamma 2.2” setting, that visually gave me a better result, and report back tomorrow.

Urushibara
    Participant

Okay, so, I recalibrated both monitors thrice now

1.: sRGB preset with 120cd/m2 and nothing changed. Result: Bad contrast and everything looked dull and washed out.

2.: sRGB preset with 150cd/m2 (second monitor doesn’t reach that anymore and tops out at 130cd/m2) and Ambient light level adjustment set to 77.6 Lux (measured in front of the monitors), the rest was untouched again. Result: A bit more pleasing to the eye but still bad contrast and a bit washed out.

3.: “Custom” settings with white point set to 6500K, white level 150cd/m2, black level as measured, Gamma 2.2, Ambient light level adjustment to 77.6. Result: Much more pleasing to the eye, much better contrast and nothing is washed out.

Note: All calibrations were done with a calibration speed of high and Auto-optimized test chart with 175 fields!

I might have to play a bit with the black point correction or better said the rate because the documentation mentioned that the results might be better with a rate of 3.0 or 2.0. Maybe someone with more experience can shed some light on the “ideal” settings for the use case of 90% gaming, 10% photoshop (on a very amateur level)?

In the long run, I’ll probably upgrade to an x-rite i1 Display Pro (maybe even the plus variant) because I noticed that the SpyderX probably won’t work well on curved monitors due to its wide design and general shape.

ninjabeans
    Participant

Hello~! I had the exact same problem with the same monitor, S2721DGF, somehow after 8 hours of messing around I managed to solve it~!! I created an account just to share in case it helps!

I did the typical steps that were given::

• Download and unzip the Argyll CMS into a folder, directly inside the drive. In my case it was “C:\Argyll_V2.3.0”.
    • Disable the igfx tray module (igfxtray.exe),  igfxpph module (igfxpph.dll) and the persistence module (igfxpers.exe).
    • Follow the whole installation guide including rebooting with the Disable Driver Signature Enforcement part.

Up to this point, none of these actually solved the issue for me. I’m listing them as a list of check points just in case. What finally solved the issue for me was going to File > Locate ArgyllCMS executables (navigate to the folder I’d originally extracted the files to “C:\Argyll_V2.3.0\bin”).

I’m not a tech expert, so there are probably people laughing at how I’ve finally got to this point.  My guess is that the ArgyllCMS did not actually install the latest version until that last bit.  Hoping it might help others as well~!

Thank you for this. I spent hours trying to figure out why it did not work when I tried to calibrate for white LED. Your post was incredibly helpful. All I had to do was download Argyll 2.3.0 and in DisplayCal use File > Locate Argyll executables like you suggested and Viola. No more errors. THANK YOU.

Zalander
    Participant

Hello!
    I am running into the same Error with my newly bought SpyderX Pro. Calibration with  Generic mode is working fine while White LED or Phosphor WLED return “Instrument access failed” . I went through all of the provided solutions in the thread (completely reinstalling displaycal, drivers in device manager with disabled signature etc.) and also pointing towards Argyll 2.3.1. The only Idea left to me is trying the 2.3.0 version (maybe 2.3.1 introduced a new bug in my specific case?). Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere for windows.

Any kind of support is highly appreciated!

Cheers

Urushibara
    Participant

I can confirm that the SpyderX Pro has issues with 2.3.1.
    You can still get the Argyll 2.3.0 on their page, but it’s a tiny bit complicated, you need to change the download URL.

https://www.argyllcms.com/Argyll_V2.3.0_win64_exe.zip

Zalander
    Participant

Yes! That did it!

Thank you so much !

Cardinal Delos Reyes
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up with this, mind me asking what is the issue you are facing with the latest version?

Urushibara
    Participant

Of course, and I’m happy to give an answer.
    With V2.3.1 I got the same device lockup issue as with the pre-V2.3.0 one that DisplayCAL “came with”, I think that was V2.2.4.

You can go through the interactive monitor calibration part, then it starts to measure the color fields and after that, when it’s supposed to make a profile out of that data you get the device disconnected (or something along the line) error.

I tested that 4-ways.
    1st: Normal USB3.0 port
    2nd: Pass through USB port on my keyboard (also 3.0)
    3rd: Monitors USB port (also 3.0)
    4th: Powered USB2.0 hub

All the same error. Downgraded back to V2.3.0, and it works in all 4 ways as it should.
    The only issue I now have (which I blame on the SpyderX itself) is, that I get a very bad miss reading of the color displayed on my new monitor (LG 32GP850-B), around the lowest gray where it expects a reading of 0,1 or something like that, but miss reads that with the “worst case” of around 24.9. This did NOT happen with my now dead BenQ Zowie XL2730 (hope I’m able to find a second hand driver board to revive it).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS