Error – display read failed with 'Instrument Access Failed'

Home Forums Help and Support Error – display read failed with 'Instrument Access Failed'

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Six El Sid
    Participant

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a colormunki Smile, but I cannot get it to calibrate. It will attempt to do the initial measurement, and then return the above error.

I have the device running in a USB 2.0 slot because of the known 3.0 issues. I am even having issues running the default Colormunki software, which is currently not installed in this system.

I would love any advice on this topic.

Thanks,

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I have the device running in a USB 2.0 slot because of the known 3.0 issues

Have you tried an USB 3 port instead? On my own system, both USB 3 and 2 work fine with my instruments. Also make sure it uses the correct driver (Argyll libusb).

I am even having issues running the default Colormunki software, which is currently not installed in this system.

Probably not a driver issue then.

Six El Sid
    Participant

I think the Colormunki is junk unfortunately – going to swap it out for a Spyder5 and hopefully have better success. Thank you for your response!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Colormunki Smile to Spyder5 would be a downgrade in terms of speed (and possibly also precision and accuracy), though.

Six El Sid
    Participant

I appreciate the advice, however, I am cautious as I could not get my Smile working in any fashion, on either of my two computers, even just trying to use the OEM software.

The unit I got from Amazon was very clearly opened previously, however, so its not a stretch to assume that its a bum unit that was previously returned.

Would it be worthwhile to bump up to the next tier of Colormunki hardware over the Smile?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The unit I got from Amazon was very clearly opened previously, however, so its not a stretch to assume that its a bum unit that was previously returned.

Sounds like it.

Would it be worthwhile to bump up to the next tier of Colormunki hardware over the Smile?

Possibly, but also depends on how much you want to spend. The next step up would be the ColorMunki Display, and it’s a bit more expensive than a Spyder5 Express (although the former is speedier and more accurate).

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS