Epson LS10500 spectral correction

Home Forums General Discussion Epson LS10500 spectral correction

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mmdd
    Participant

I wonder if it’s worth buying an X-Rite i1 PRO 2 to sharpen my i1 Display pro.
    Display pro makes a great job on all my screens (except plasma) but with this projector I have the feeling that the white is too reddish, despite measuring D65.
    Could it be a metameric failure?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

IDNK light source in your projector. If it is a blue laser projector maybe an i1Pro2 would be insufficient to this task.
    In that situation, with that kind of laser light source, bundled xrite corrections for projectors won’t match yours.
    If white does not look good to your eyes with a laser projector you’ll need to rent a high end spectro (less tha 5nm, maybe a JETI or better)… or use DisplayCAL’s visual whitepoint editor from measured D65 to your desired “visual D65”. Since 2nd option is free, I’ll try it.

You can talk about observer metameric failure (I mean “you” being very different than CIE 1931 2º observer) when you calibrate it with high res spectrophotometer @D65 and visually it does not look like “white”.

It’s shame manufacturers don’t publish a high res SPD data for their displays. It’s not a “industrial secret” since once purchased, these displays’ owners could publish it by themselves (ussually with non lab grade equipment), for example CCSS files stored in DisplayCAL’s colorimeter correction database.

mmdd
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.
    If I finally go through the i1pro2 route, could I perform a spectral correction to benefit other users?

Vincent
    Participant

Yes, but best if you use ArgyllCMS high res mode (3.3nm vs 10nm with “standard mode”). I would say that if you own a laser projector high res mode is mandatory even if it is more noisy.

Very narrow spectra may casue observer metameric failure, but to confirm that you are suffering it, you’ll need a spectral power distribution in a resolution that i1Pro2 cannot offer.
    For example, I was googling right now for a laser SPD example and I found the small brother of your proyector (blue laser, Rec709 like, it seems) and a JVC (Rec709 like, similar to the first):
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2934510-calibrating-laser-based-projectors.html#post55168986
    i1ProX are graphics arts spectros (printer profiles and suppor for OBA papers)… this task you want is too big for them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS