Eizo cs2420 uniformity

Home Forums General Discussion Eizo cs2420 uniformity

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

Hello!
    A few days ago I bought an eizo cs2420. I did a calibration with the colornavigator 7 software using my i1Display Pro, without using the “Display uniformity equalizer” option. Then I decided to do a screen uniformity test with Displaycal. The report didn’t look very good to me, (some squares are orange and red).
    So, this time I decided to enable the “Display uniformity equalizer” option in CN7, and to do another calibration. After that I did the screen uniformity test again. now this report seems to be much better (all squares are now green ).
    Are the uniformity normal for this type of display, or is there a uniformity issue with my unit?
    I also noticed that by activating the “DUE” option I have a small loss of contrast (856: 1), also verified in displaycal. without “DUE” option the contrast was (1021: 1) is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

CS models, including yours have an excellent color uniofrmity out of the box. Brightness uniformity may be not so good when DUE=brightness.

You unit has a sub par brightness uniformity with DUE set to brightness (but color unifomity is excellent as expected), typical values are <15% brightness drops and yours go down to 20 in a band.
    If that brightness drop bothers you return to refund and try another unit.

Report shows by default overall uniformity error dE, whioch can be splitted on color error/color tint (dC) and brightness error. Use central cell combo box to switch between total error and “color tint” error

PS: Older CS2420 where GB-LED like your selection, newer CS2420 may be WLED PFS (HP Z24x). Without an spectrophotometer is hard to say what type is yours.
    Aim manually (RGB gains) to D65 using one CCSS then another. Keep the one that looks whiter if they are two dfferent.
    CN7 lacks of a proper WLED PFS correction (unless they hve updated it), it used a generic 3×3 for that moden and a generic i1d3 or GB_LED EDR/CCSS, depending oon CN7 configuration. To use WLED PFS EDR check Midas’ thread on CS2731, here in thsi forum.

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Vincent.
    So the value for brightness is just a little below average. This in itself might not be a problem, that band doesn’t bother me visually.
    My concern is that perhaps the problem may get worse over time. I think this can happen because all monitors have a progressive deterioration using it for a few years, at least I think so.
    I also don’t like the idea of having to use a patch like the “DUE” function to get around the uniformity problem. I think I will ask for a refund or replacement.

Thanks also for the suggestion for the type of correction to use for the panel. I’ll check the Midas thread.

Vincent
    Participant

-15% is expected even on an Eizo. DUE is useful if contrast does not matter, like when softproofing.

If you want >1000:1 with due=uniformity then you need some of the newwer CG/CG-X (or the newer NEC PA271Q with the same panel & backlight) with 1500-1300:1 native contrast ratio. Even with DUE=uniformity they should keep >1000:1

atagunov
    Participant

If you want >1000:1 with due=uniformity then you need some of the newwer CG/CG-X (or the newer NEC PA271Q with the same panel & backlight) with 1500-1300:1 native contrast ratio

Do we actually know which exact corrections (EDR / CCSS) match CG2420? Thx!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by atagunov.

Vincent
    Participant

If you want >1000:1 with due=uniformity then you need some of the newwer CG/CG-X (or the newer NEC PA271Q with the same panel & backlight) with 1500-1300:1 native contrast ratio

Do we actually know which exact corrections (EDR / CCSS) match CG2420? Thx!

It should use the same WLED PFS phosphor backlight as the other new CGs. You can search colorimeter correction database (3nm) or just use the bundled CCSS with DIsplayCAL “HP Z24x G2”.

CN has not the porper correcxtion for this backlight and i1d3 colorimeter, to get a good one:

Reply To: EIZO CG2700X bad uniformity?

It is for CS2731 but their backlight type is the same type

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Vincent.

atagunov
    Participant

HP Z24x G2 … It is for CS2731 but their backlight type is the same ype

Thanks muchly! So

• HP Z24x G2 supplied with DC (ccss only)
    • Stuart Pointon’s CS2731 CR300 measurements (ccss and edr)

Isn’t it a little concerning

• HP Z24x G2 and CS2731 are rated 350 nits / 1000:1 contrast
    • CG2420 is rated 400 nits / 1500:1

I appreciate the above are the best CCSS available, just feeling a little concerned.

For context I’m choosing a “reference” (2nd) monitor to connect via BMD MiniMonitor and EE LUT box to Resolve for messing with video at prosumer level. Budget/desk space/calibration with DisplayCal + i1d3 without a real spectro are my requirements. So far CG2420 looked perfect.

Marko82
    Participant

.wrong 3d sorry

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Marko82. Reason: Mistake

Vincent
    Participant

HP Z24x G2 … It is for CS2731 but their backlight type is the same ype

Thanks muchly! So

• HP Z24x G2 supplied with DC (ccss only)
    • Stuart Pointon’s CS2731 CR300 measurements (ccss and edr)

Isn’t it a little concerning

• HP Z24x G2 and CS2731 are rated 350 nits / 1000:1 contrast
    • CG2420 is rated 400 nits / 1500:1

I appreciate the above are the best CCSS available, just feeling a little concerned.

For context I’m choosing a “reference” (2nd) monitor to connect via BMD MiniMonitor and EE LUT box to Resolve for messing with video at prosumer level. Budget/desk space/calibration with DisplayCal + i1d3 without a real spectro are my requirements. So far CG2420 looked perfect.

Contrast & viewing angles do not depends on backlight SPD. Max not do not depend on SPD.

You can put a WLED PFS backlight on the back of a laptop 500:1 TN display and CCSS correction will be the one from an WLED PFS spectral power distribution.

atagunov
    Participant

Thank you for the info. This is reassuring. Once I have monitor in my hands measuring whitepoint on sRGB etc. presets will hopefully deliver additional proof and peace of mind to me.

Generally speaking I’m a little surprised. Yes there is that backlight with those spectral characteristics. But then it passes through color pigments. The color pigments presumably change spectral characteristics? So different pigment chemistry might alter SPD?

I take it you’re talking from point of knowledge, of experience. Pls. treat my questions as idle chatter. This is no longer about choosing the right monitor, it’s about trying to understand how things work.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for the info. This is reassuring. Once I have monitor in my hands measuring whitepoint on sRGB etc. presets will hopefully deliver additional proof and peace of mind to me.

Generally speaking I’m a little surprised. Yes there is that backlight with those spectral characteristics. But then it passes through color pigments. The color pigments presumably change spectral characteristics? So different pigment chemistry might alter SPD?

I take it you’re talking from point of knowledge, of experience. Pls. treat my questions as idle chatter. This is no longer about choosing the right monitor, it’s about trying to understand how things work.

Usually color filters are like “smooth windows” applied to an spectral power distribution… ligh a lowpass and highpass applied to a electronic signal. It cannot add spectral “peaks” if backlight had not them from the start. Filters are more oe less the same RGB filters, what changes is the backlight LED SPD.

Plot CCSS with argyllcms (specplot), DIsplayCAL or even Excell and you’ll see. You can choose CG2420, HP Z24x, all the CCSS from Eizo apac…
    You’ll see too how SPD chanhed when measuring at 3nm or 1nm and the very little droft from using a blue led with shorter or longer wavelength.
    On an i1d3 interchaning them will have little effect.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS