Eizo CS 2420 – Too warm after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Eizo CS 2420 – Too warm after calibration

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Paul Girard
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased an Eizo CS2420 for colorgrading job on DaVinci Resolve.

After calibration with Display Cal (3d lut for Resolve, 6500k, 120cd/m, 0,01 nits, gamma 1886), the whites are way too red. A white title on a black background is reddish. My skin tones are too red.

When at look at the “measurement report”, everything is fine, everything is signed ok.

I know that a calibrated display appears much more warm after calibration. I get used to it.

Below you will find the specs of my system and calibration tools :

Computer : macbook pro early 2011

Software : Resolve Studio 12,2

Video interface : blackmagic ultrastudio mini-monitor (through HDMI)

Calibration display : X-Rite i1 display pro (not oem version)

Calibration software : Display Cal 3.2

Eizo CS2420 settings :

Mode : Custom

Temperature : 6500k (same problem with « native »)

Gamme : 2,4 (same problem with 2,2)

Color mode : Native (same problem with Srgb)

I have the same issue through Display Port by creating an .icc profile (120cd/m, 0,01 nits, gamma Srgb or 2,2). With a huge saturation (which i have not with 3d lut). Saturation that i can handle by switching on srgb color mode on eizo display.

I have calibrated my two computers displays (Nec EA224wmi, that are way cheaper) at work during to years, with the same settings and calibration tools, with « good » results and average good reliability.

I think the BMD mini-monitor is not responsible (same issue with display port cable) neither the hdmi cable, the probe is the same probe that i use at work, so it’s not the probe.

Maybe it’s a problem between the panel technology and the probe (wide gamut, special backlighting…). « Led widegamut » is noticed on the Eizo Display manual.

At work with the two Nec ea224wmi displays, when i use I1 Profiler (X-rite software) and let the display panel technology settings by default (120cd/m – 6500K – Gamma 2.2) the manual display ajustements (to set white point at 6500k) required before caliration process with patches, are the same as when I use Display Cal.

With my eizo CS2420, they are not the same at all. With the same « workflow », same settings, same probe, Display Cal asks me to reduce much more blue and green chanels (like R:100 G : 84 B : 76).

The manual display ajustements are quite the same between the two software when I select the « LCD White LED IPS»  matrix correction on Display Cal.

The result of calibration is better but still too warm. Not reddish, but white is yellow.

Any idea about what i’m doing wrong ? Has anybody calibrated an Eizo CS 2420 (or CS240) succefully ?

Any advice will be welcome !

Thank you for your time and patience !

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Maybe it’s a problem between the panel technology and the probe (wide gamut, special backlighting…). « Led widegamut » is noticed on the Eizo Display manual.

Not sure, but I think the CS2420 has a GB-r-LED type backlight (probably better to confirm this with Eizo), so the right correction could be “Spectral: LCD RG Phosphor”.

If you want to closely match an existing display, there’s also the visual whitepoint editor that I’ve added in DisplayCAL 3.2. Using this would have the benefit that you don’t need to run lengthy measurements again, i.e. you could use the editor to adjust the white until you perceive a visual match to a reference, measure the white, and then instead of running calibration again, create a synthetic ICC profile with the measured x y chromaticities for white, to be used as source profile for the standalone 3D LUT maker to create a new 3D LUT from the existing measurements.

Paul Girard
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I already tried the “LCD “Spectral: LCD RG Phosphor” correction as you recommended this correction about the Dell wide gamut displays.
    But the result was too green as i remember.
    The website “http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/132b3a7” specifies that the Eizo CS2420 has a W-Led Panel and Arnaud Frich uses the “White diodes” setting with X-Rite software to calibrate the Eizo CS2420 (http://www.color-management-guide.com/eizo-coloredge-cs240-monitor-review.html).

But i will ask to Eizo directly as you suggest.

I read your article about the new functionnality of the 3.2 version. I can’t use it for my calibration issue cause my Eizo display is at home and my Nec Display at work.
    It’s kind of tricky for me to bring my 24′ panel at work.
    Anyways if i set the right white point with this method and then pursues the calibration with the wrong “correction”, the results will be wrong, no ?
    I readed many threads on this forum (either on lift gamma gain forum) before i post. I didn”t see a similar case to mine and i guess many folks use an eizo CS24(2)0 as monitor for resolve with Display Cal calibration solution.

So, i must miss something obvious, i just can’t tell what it is !

Thank you for your help, I will keep on searching.

WolfPeace
    Participant

Do not trust  websites that offer generic specifications of monitors, they are just copy pasting information from a source they usually don’t cite.

Paul Girard
    Participant

Hi florian, Eizo consumer service replied to me : “Eizo Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 has a Samsung PLS panel with Wide Gamut LED backlight (W-LED)”.

What kind of correction is the most accurate to properly calibrate my screen on Display cal ?

Thx

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What correction does i1Profiler select?

Paul Girard
    Participant

The correction by default in I1Profiler is “White LED” (but you can choose whatever you want RGB LED-GB LED- CCFL-etc). I1Profiler doesn’t select a correction for me.

With Eizo CS2420 :

When i choose White led (i1Profiler), i obtain the same white point adjustment as when i select the correction “LCD White LED IPS” on Display Cal

With Nec 224wmi :

When i choose White led (i1Profiler), i obtain the same white point adjustment as when i select “None” in Display Cal.

Does it make sense to you ?

Thank you for your advices

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When i choose White led (i1Profiler), i obtain the same white point adjustment as when i select the correction “LCD White LED IPS” on Display Cal

That’s to be expected because they’re the same.

When i choose White led (i1Profiler), i obtain the same white point adjustment as when i select “None” in Display Cal.

That’s curious.

Paul Girard
    Participant

Hi Florian, thank you for your quick reply.

Eizo’s support replied me more precisely about the LED panel and backlight type of several models of Eizo panels. This informations may be usefull for other users of Display Cal :

————-

– White LED -> FlexScan EV serie
    – Samsung PLS with MG LED backlight -> ColorEdge CS240
    – Samsung PLS with MG LED backlight and retardation film -> ColorEdge CG246/CX240
    – Samsung PLS with MG LED backlight (new generation) -> ColorEdge CS2420

The Samsung MG LED backlight technology is close to LG’s GB + r LED technology.

So I advise you to use the GB-r LED if no other choice.

———

Is there a specific “matrix correction for the MG Led backlight technology in Display Cal ?

I tried another calibration with “RG Phosphor” correction but it’s definitively too green.

The “White LED” correction give me the best results. It matches pretty well with the macbook pro screen (matte panel) calibrated with display cal (no correction- LCD generic). But a white title on a black background still appears a little tinted yellow to me.

Steve Shaw said something that interpellate me on LGG forum :

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/eizo-calibration-with-color-navigator-lets-create-the-ultimate-guide.7262/page-2#post-70406

All Eizo displays are LED displays.
    They calibrate perfectly assuming you have a decent Spectro, or Tristimulus with an accurate matrix for the backlight type – usually White LED, or RGB LED.

and also …

But, comparing to a MBP screen is not a good comparison…

———–

I start beginning to think that “White led” is the most accurate correction for Eizo CS2420.

I attached to this message the two measurement reports for each setting, white led and Gb-r Led.

Could you give me your opinion about them ? Is there something inaccurate on one of this ?

Thank you for your advices, time and patience and for this amazing tool that Display Cal is.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Eizo’s support replied me more precisely about the LED panel and backlight type of several models of Eizo panels. This informations may be usefull for other users of Display Cal

Interesting, that’s definitely useful. I would love to see the spectra of such a MG LED backlight.

Is there a specific “matrix correction for the MG Led backlight technology in Display Cal ?

Not directly, but if you delete all but the last four samples from the RG_Phosphor_Family_25Jul12.ccss, you isolate the Dell U2413 spectra, which are from its GB-r LED backlight and according to what you posted above, should be close to the MG LED backlight of the CS2420. I attached the resulting file.

But a white title on a black background still appears a little tinted yellow to me.

That could also be because the black of many LCD displays is more of a dark cyanish/blueish hue.

I attached to this message the two measurement reports for each setting, white led and Gb-r Led.

Could you give me your opinion about them ? Is there something inaccurate on one of this ?

No verdict possible on the accuracy without comparing to a more accurate instrument.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Actually, I just realized there is a CS2420 CCSS in the online colorimeter corrections database:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=ENC&display=CS2420&html=1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS