Eizo CG247x calibration w/ DisplayCal

Home Forums Help and Support Eizo CG247x calibration w/ DisplayCal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dor
    Participant

Hey guys,

After many tries, I found that the CN calibration simply doesn’t produce a proper white balance for me. Now, I set my CG247x on the ‘custom’ profile on the monitor itself with gamma 2.4, temp 6500 and then calibrated with DisplayCal inside Resolve. Seems to be the most accurate calibration I got so far.

I have a few questions though:

* Is this a proper way to calibrate my monitor (compared to using CN + DisplayCal)?
    * Is this correction (“HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.ccss”) good for my monitor? [that’s why I used]

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

Hey guys,

After many tries, I found that the CN calibration simply doesn’t produce a proper white balance for me.

What do you mean with that?
    -wrong whier point? (maybe)
    -bad grey range with some greys towards green others towards magenta? (very unexpected, broken unit, it shluld be near perfect out of the box)

Now, I set my CG247x on the ‘custom’ profile on the monitor itself with gamma 2.4, temp 6500 and then calibrated with DisplayCal inside Resolve. Seems to be the most accurate calibration I got so far.

I have a few questions though:

* Is this a proper way to calibrate my monitor (compared to using CN + DisplayCal)?

CN has 5 ways for measuring CGs:
    -internal probe (which is not placed on the center) matric corrected in factory to match a reference instrument
    -“generic” i1d3 matrix correction, bundled in CN, which may be not suitable for “all” i1d3 (default)
    -EDR correction for taylor made corection of your i1d3 firmware data (“no compensation” in preferences)… but Eizo has no EDR for WLED PFS like yours, it uses old CS series GB-LED (RG phosphor with Dell U2413 spectral power distribution)
    -Spyder correction , rubbish, next
    -graphics arts spectrophotometers (Xrite), 10nm resolution, unsuitable for that backlight

I’ll assume that you tried 1st & 2nd, Then you validate with DisplayCAL and proper EDR/CCSS and white point is off.

You can:

-replace EDR, or replace binary spectral data in RG_phoshor EDR with HP Z24x data (RG EDR has 4×4 spectral series, HP has 2×4 spectral series), lot of HEX editor work
    -demand Eizo to include proper EDR for their displays. If you do not complain… they’ll have zero reason sto change

That will get you a HW calibration and a profile for all color managed apps.

If you just want to get display close to D65, 2.4 gamma in native colorspace and then make a LUT3D for resolve… it’s ok what you did.
    Remember that default display profile in OS for all other non resolve color managed apps must be accurate or colors will be wrong (photoshop, color managed browsers…). If grey grange is OK , the easiest way is to make a “profile only” 1curve matrix profile with BPC on (all calibration settings to as measured) then install it in OS as default profile for that display (It has no GPU calibration, just a simple description of display colorspace and current 2.4 gamma). Then make detailed XYZLUT profile for resolve and do not install it in OS, just make LUT3D for Resolve
    Since you did LUT3D at this point, just make a profile only so color manged apps like newer browsers know that display has 2.4 gamma. Or even faster: get native XYZ coordinates of primaries and make a synthetic profile (no measurements).

* Is this correction (“HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.ccss”) good for my monitor? [that’s why I used]

Thanks!

Yes

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Dor
    Participant

You can:

-replace EDR, or replace binary spectral data in RG_phoshor EDR with HP Z24x data (RG EDR has 4×4 spectral series, HP has 2×4 spectral series), lot of HEX editor work
    -demand Eizo to include proper EDR for their displays. If you do not complain… they’ll have zero reason sto change

If you just want to get display close to D65, 2.4 gamma in native colorspace and then make a LUT3D for resolve… it’s ok what you did.
    Remember that default display profile in OS for all other non resolve color managed apps must be accurate or colors will be wrong (photoshop, color managed browsers…). If grey grange is OK , the easiest way is to make a “profile only” 1curve matrix profile with BPC on (all calibration settings to as measured) then install it in OS as default profile for that display (It has no GPU calibration, just a simple description of display colorspace and current 2.4 gamma). Then make detailed XYZLUT profile for resolve and do not install it in OS, just make LUT3D for Resolve
    Since you did LUT3D at this point, just make a profile only so color manged apps like newer browsers know that display has 2.4 gamma. Or even faster: get native XYZ coordinates of primaries and make a synthetic profile (no measurements)

Thanks a lot Vincent! appreciate your time.

Yes youre correct – CN calibration (with internal probe & i1Display) produced a slight but noticeable green/temp shift.

My 3DLUT I created with DisplayCal is working great but I have two questions for you:

*How do I tell Resolve to load that lut automatically on every project?

*Why would I want to make a profile for browsers? I use this monitor only inside resolve

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

You can:

Since you did LUT3D at this point, just make a profile only so color manged apps like newer browsers know that display has 2.4 gamma. Or even faster: get native XYZ coordinates of primaries and make a synthetic profile (no measurements)

Thanks a lot Vincent! appreciate your time.

Yes youre correct – CN calibration (with internal probe & i1Display) produced a slight but noticeable green/temp shift.

My 3DLUT I created with DisplayCal is working great but I have two questions for you:

*How do I tell Resolve to load that lut automatically on every project?

IDNK, I think that this needs to be configured for each one

*Why would I want to make a profile for browsers? I use this monitor only inside resolve

My reply was a generic advice to general purpose video-print work. If you only use it in resolve you do not need it.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS