Easiest way to get AdobeRGB limited calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support Easiest way to get AdobeRGB limited calibration?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

melvin
    Participant

I’ve been trying to calibrate a new monitor (Lenovo p27u) which covers close to 100% of AdobeRGB, but I keep getting way oversaturated colors, especially the reds are really vibrant.

I usually reset a monitor to it’s defaults and during the interactive calibration I adjust the brightness and use the rgb controls to get the hardware close to neutral and let DisplayCal do the rest.

There’s a few presets in the display, one such is AdobeRGB and it really tones down the saturation overall, but it goes too far as it seems to apply desaturation to all the color channels equally and results in about 90% AdobeRGB coverage. The manual mentions that the RGB controls affect saturation for each channel, however I’m not seeing that effect and haven’t had any luck getting good results.

Previous monitors have been within or right on with AdobeRGB colorspace but this is the first time I’m trying to reduce the colors to something realistic. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the simplest way to do achieve this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Use display as is with its native gamut, THAT displaycal profile made at native gamut as default display profile in OS and color managed apps working in sRGB/AdobeRGB or whatever colorspace you want, just make sure that images have a profile attached to them (a colospace that can be recognized by your image editing app).
    There is little to no use of AdobeRGB outside color managed apps.

AdobeRGB preset should be some kind of lut-matrix-lut factory calibration, emulating AdobeRGB primaries from display native primaries. Usually those modes are OSD locked for whitepoint fine tunning but if your target white is not far from factory calibrated white youcan let DisplayCAL handle the difference that you cannot fix at the expense of a little contrast & brightness drop.

melvin
    Participant

You are right, after giving it some thought, I realized that by limiting the displays native output I’m also not getting a true representation of colors inside a color managed application. If I’m correct, what would eventually happen is that I’m boosting the reds even further and possibly clipping the red channel once I convert it to sRGB for web exports. In my first calibration attempt I did not pick the simple curve + matrix option so any browser and non-color managed application in macOS showed big differences in what I had in Photoshop compared to the rest. After calibrating it in it’s native state and selecting the simple curve + matrix option things are looking much better.

Thanks for the information.

Vincent
    Participant

You are right, after giving it some thought, I realized that by limiting the displays native output I’m also not getting a true representation of colors inside a color managed application.

No, unless a particular image exceeds emulated gamut (you open a flower image in ProphotoRGB or eciRGBv2) or you misconfigured color management (ypou use native gamut ICC profile while in AdobeRGB mode).

If you use an adobergb emulation mode and at the same time you set a profile as default display profile that describes that display at that osd mode in an accurate way… you can see sRGB images and AdobeRGB images without issue…. but you won’t see some colors in an eciRGBv2 image or Prophoto image, some (a few) of them printable.
    I mean, your display is less versatile if you use AdobeRGB mode. But at adoberrb mode it can provuce extremely accurate images if their embebed profile is sRGB or AdobeRGB (if other requiremenet are met like uniformity, etc)

If I’m correct, what would eventually happen is that I’m boosting the reds even further and possibly clipping the red channel once I convert it to sRGB for web exports.

Softproof + out of gamut can help you while editing an imagen that may end on paper and in web. Also you can be at native gamut, convert an image to sRGB and edit it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS