Dual Monitor Colour Mismatch Windows 10

Home Forums Help and Support Dual Monitor Colour Mismatch Windows 10

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

William Hudson
    Participant

I’ve used DisplayCAL 3.2.3 to calibrate two 24″ monitors on my Windows 10 machine, but the display of the same material on both shows very obvious differences in colour profile. I am not that experienced at colour calibration, but the process seemed to work okay and the created profiles appear to be being applied correctly – at least by DisplayCAL and the Windows Color Calibration feature.

I used a Spyder 5 sensor to do the calibration (with the Argyll CMS driver). Is there something I’m missing? The main point of the exercise was to get the two monitors to display similar colours.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

William

PS – Attached is a photo of the two screens. The one on the left is an NEC EA241WM and the one on the right a Viewsonic VG2438. The blue on the Viewsonic is much darker, although its less obvious in the photo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Attached is a photo of the two screens. The one on the left is an NEC EA241WM and the one on the right a Viewsonic VG2438. The blue on the Viewsonic is much darker, although its less obvious in the photo.

Only color managed applications will show similar colors (within ability of the display) under Windows. PowerPoint is not color managed at all.

William Hudson
    Participant

Hi Florian. I tried the same thing using a screenshot and displaying it in Photoshop, which I assumed was colour-managed? The result was the same.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The lesser of the two displays (NEC EA241WM) has a TN panel and thus high dependence on viewing angle. I suspect it will not be able to show a flat single color area without it looking like a gradient, which is a problem  TN-based displays generally have. This is a hardware limitation.
    The ViewSonic on the other hand has a PLS panel and should not be affected by this problem.

William Hudson
    Participant

Yes, I thought it might be a difference in the technology since the backlight is different too. I’ve ordered another of the ViewSonic to replace the NEC. Thanks anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS