Dual display setup – intent: matching colours

Home Forums Help and Support Dual display setup – intent: matching colours

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hattori Shinsan
    Participant

Hi all,

This should be a very basic question, but I cannot find any documentation about it (probably I’m not looking in the right places) so I’ll appreciate if someone could give me some pointers. I’m still trying to learn my way around color management, so I ask in advance for forgiveness if I am using any concept or term incorrectly.

I am working on two monitors (laptop + external one), neither is great but the different in sRGB coverage is sensible  (~60% vs. ~80%, depending on calibration). I have managed to get them to (roughly) the same white point, but there is still a pretty big difference in the way many colors appear (probably due to that ~20% of sRGB spectrum that can be rendered by the external monitor but not by the laptop and to the shifts caused by the rendering intent).

Now, most of the time I don’t use this setup for graphics, so I do not really need good color representation. What bothers (and distracts) me is that the same elements appear different depending on where the window is placed (e.g.: icons that are yellow on one monitor, orangey on the other…). So my question is: is there a way to set the external screen so that it represents the same (or the closest possible) smaller subset of sRGB that the laptop does?

Thank you for any input you might provide, it will be much appreciated!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

What bothers (and distracts) me is that the same elements appear different depending on where the window is placed (e.g.: icons that are yellow on one monitor, orangey on the other…).

Hmm. That sounds more like an issue with screen uniformity and viewing angles.

So my question is: is there a way to set the external screen so that it represents the same (or the closest possible) smaller subset of sRGB that the laptop does?

Convert images to the profile of the laptop screen before displaying them on the external screen is one solution I can think of.

Hattori Shinsan
    Participant

Hi Florian!

First of all, thanks for your suggestions!

Hi,

What bothers (and distracts) me is that the same elements appear different depending on where the window is placed (e.g.: icons that are yellow on one monitor, orangey on the other…).

Hmm. That sounds more like an issue with screen uniformity and viewing angles.

It could be. I tried different angles without getting any improvement, is there a particular method to fix it, besides just trial and error (and giving up after some time)?

So my question is: is there a way to set the external screen so that it represents the same (or the closest possible) smaller subset of sRGB that the laptop does?

Convert images to the profile of the laptop screen before displaying them on the external screen is one solution I can think of.

That might work, but I think converting all icons and GUI elements of the OS will take me some time 😉 which then raises the question whether GUI elements have a profile in the first place (and if not, how X11 handles it). I guess I’ll try looking into that direction, thank you for the pointer!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

is there a particular method to fix it

Other than getting a display with better viewing angles, not really.

raises the question whether GUI elements have a profile in the first place (and if not, how X11 handles it)

No, the desktop and GUI elements are usually not color managed (the only OS with built-in desktop and UI color management is Mac OS X).

Hattori Shinsan
    Participant

is there a particular method to fix it

Other than getting a display with better viewing angles, not really.

Heh, hard to do on a laptop 😉

raises the question whether GUI elements have a profile in the first place (and if not, how X11 handles it)

No, the desktop and GUI elements are usually not color managed (the only OS with built-in desktop and UI color management is Mac OS X).

Uhmm seems something that we (as a FS community) should fix… Thank you very much for your input, it’s great to receive feedback so quickly!

All the best

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS