Do I need to calibrate my monitor in HDR mode?

Home Forums Help and Support Do I need to calibrate my monitor in HDR mode?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

hengisme3
    Participant

So I’m a super newbie here. I have a ColorMunki Display which I used on my new LG 27GL850 on default preset settings to really good results for everyday use.

The monitor “supports” HDR although it’s only 350 nits.

I read that HDR movies should at least look as good as the SDR version with a better colour gamut even if the screen does not support higher nits for meaningful HDR. But when I tested HDR Blu-ray movies on the screen they looked notably worse than the SDR versions of the same movie did.

Am I supposed to also calibrate the HDR mode somehow, and have a profile set up on DisplayCal just for the HDR mode? If so, what settings should I use? I’m assuming “Default” wouldn’t quite work the same for this.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

But when I tested HDR Blu-ray movies on the screen they looked notably worse than the SDR versions of the same movie did.

How did you watch the BD, i.e. which player? I take it you use madVR as video renderer?

Am I supposed to also calibrate the HDR mode somehow

Usually this doesn’t work well, because in HDR mode, the monitor will do its own tone mapping which messes with calibration. You could calibrate & profile the monitor in its widest gamut mode and highest brightness in SDR, and then rely on madVR to do tone and gamut mapping (either via shader “HDR to SDR” + 3D LUT, or specific “HDR to SDR” 3D LUT).

hengisme3
    Participant

Hi,

But when I tested HDR Blu-ray movies on the screen they looked notably worse than the SDR versions of the same movie did.

How did you watch the BD, i.e. which player? I take it you use madVR as video renderer?

Am I supposed to also calibrate the HDR mode somehow

Usually this doesn’t work well, because in HDR mode, the monitor will do its own tone mapping which messes with calibration. You could calibrate & profile the monitor in its widest gamut mode and highest brightness in SDR, and then rely on madVR to do tone and gamut mapping (either via shader “HDR to SDR” + 3D LUT, or specific “HDR to SDR” 3D LUT).

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I use madVR as my video renderer.

Do I “lose” anything when doing some kind of conversion from HDR to SDR? Or is that what the monitor would have to do anyway so there’s no real difference?

On my old monitor which did not support HDR, I used to watch HDR movies using madVR’s conversion to SDR using pixel shaders after processing the movie file with the madMeasureHDR tool. The end result was very watchable, but still much inferior to the normal SDR version when it comes to bright effects (like lightning effects of Thor, for example).

I hoping that with a monitor that supported HDR I could dodge this whole conversion thing all together

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do I “lose” anything when doing some kind of conversion from HDR to SDR?

Some monitors will reach higher peak luminance in HDR mode.

Or is that what the monitor would have to do anyway so there’s no real difference?

The monitor HDR tonemapping on the other hand is almost guaranteed to be inferior to madVR’s, but YMMV.

Herve
    Participant

Hi,
    I use my OLED TV LG 55C9 as a monitor.
    To get the maximum luminosity (650cd), I have to enable HDR and Dynamic Tone Mapping on the TV, standard profile, and enable HDR in windows. This mode is the brightest and the only one which allows me to watch TV in daylight (very bright room), but I get far from ideal colours and grey scale, and very limited options in this mode in the TV menu to correct this.

I thought I could solve the problem with an icc profile on the computer side.
    I previously have used DisplayCAL (by the way I love this soft) to calibrate my LCD monitors with great results.

In DisplayCAL, I selected the correction matrix : Spectral:WOLED, SDR mode gamut REC. 709 (LG OLED).
    I tried to calibrate it with DisplayCAL and my ColorMunki Display, but the image with the generated profile is much too reddish.

It looks like the ColorMunki Display doesn’t see correctly the red on my TV.

Any tip or fix to help me generate a correct icc profile please ?

A.ces
    Participant

Hi,
    I use my OLED TV LG 55C9 as a monitor.
    To get the maximum luminosity (650cd), I have to enable HDR and Dynamic Tone Mapping on the TV, standard profile, and enable HDR in windows. This mode is the brightest and the only one which allows me to watch TV in daylight (very bright room), but I get far from ideal colours and grey scale, and very limited options in this mode in the TV menu to correct this.

I thought I could solve the problem with an icc profile on the computer side.
    I previously have used DisplayCAL (by the way I love this soft) to calibrate my LCD monitors with great results.

In DisplayCAL, I selected the correction matrix : Spectral:WOLED, SDR mode gamut REC. 709 (LG OLED).
    I tried to calibrate it with DisplayCAL and my ColorMunki Display, but the image with the generated profile is much too reddish.

It looks like the ColorMunki Display doesn’t see correctly the red on my TV.

Any tip or fix to help me generate a correct icc profile please ?

OLED’s usually have metamerism failure in that D65 visually looks different than D65 on normal monitors, so your best bet would be one of the alternate whitepoints found on avsforum that someone did for i1d3/display, or calibrate a normal display then use that as a reference to do a perceptual match.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS