Distort 3D Lut color

Home Forums Help and Support Distort 3D Lut color

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ching
    Participant

Hi all. I’m new to color calibration. I have a few question about my recent calibration.

First, I try to calibrate my monitor by choosing 6500K (Daylight) and tone curve to Gamma 2.2

Then, I open “3D LUT” tab and create 3dlut file with every setting in default (tone curve Gamma 2.2 too). Unchecked “Create 3D LUT after profiling. Install the 3dlut file into madvr/mpc-hc. I test with  AVC HD709. The grey bar all become red/green (with screenshot below) Am I make any mistake here?

Also, when I switch the 3D LUT on/off in mpc-hc, it looks like affecting whole window environment, instead of the video only. Is this normal too?

I also attached the profile if it help identify what happened.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the Spyders are notorious for their lack of low light precision, so in your case the result is probably hampered by the overall low brightness of the display, which may exacerbate this limitation. You may be able to get a better result by increasing the amount of profiling patches (you probably can use the existing calibration as a base by setting whitepoint & tone curve to “As measured” on the calibration tab and disabling interactive display adjustment).

Ching
    Participant

Thanks Florian.

Would it help if I increase the monitor brightness during calibration, and tune it back down afterwards? does this make it worse?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Would it help if I increase the monitor brightness during calibration, and tune it back down afterwards? does this make it worse?

If the display response stays consistent with changing brightness, this may work, but I would expect a loss of accuracy. Increasing the profiling patches seems like the safer option.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS