dispread.exe could not be started

Home Forums Help and Support dispread.exe could not be started

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

t.g.v
    Participant

Hi everyone,

had some problems whilst calibrating an Asus PB248Q w. Spider Express 4.

the first runs interrupted with error “dispread.exe could not be started”. next tries resulted in getting icms with over-saturated colors and heavy banding. W7 desktop looks like my display was shattered.

what am i doing wrong?

regards – tg

W7 Pro, gigabyte GA-H170-HD3, Geforce GT-730 DDR5. Last SPs and drivers installed.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Formatting. Please don't insert log contents into posts, attach them instead
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

dispread.exe could not be started

Something on your system is actively blocking the process from being started. You’ll have to figure out what it is that is blocking it (probably some third-party software).

next tries resulted in getting icms with over-saturated colors and heavy banding.

Some of the measurements look like the display and/or instrument are very unstable and random. Make sure the environment doesn’t change during calibration and profiling (e.g. disable any and all dynamic dimming/contrast functions on the monitor if it has any, make sure no light is shining directly on the monitor, avoid high levels of ambient light, ensure that nothing interrupts or interferes with the measurement process).

t.g.v
    Participant

Dear Florian – thank you for your help.

The “dispread” error disappeared after setting dispread to run with admin-rights. Additionally i updated intels usb 3-drivers to 4.0.5.55.

nevertheless, i’m not able to reach acceptable delta es: last run resulted in “errors: max. = 16.x, avg. = 9.x, RMS = 10.x”. this is pretty bad for a midlevel ips-screen.

there is no direct light on screen. usual suspects like igfxpers, gnome… are not existent. there is no brightness automatic set. antivirus program doesn’t block argyll/displaycal executables.

regards – tg

t.g.v
    Participant

last log added.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Additionally i updated intels usb 3-drivers to 4.0.5.55

If the instrument is connected via USB 3, then you may want to consider using a (powered) USB 2.0 hub instead. Some instruments have problems over USB 3 on some systems.

last log added.

Measurements seem random again, I doubt you’re getting a useful result.

Bob Domino
    Participant

I installed DisplayCAL 3.5.3 on Windows 10 and was able to calibrate the monitor of my Acer E-15 Laptop with the Spyder 5 successfully and install the profile. I switched to my Acer H226HQL desktop monitor and successfully calibrated that but when I tried to install the profile DisplayCAL stopped responding. After I ended the process I tried again and this time the measurement box disappeared and a few minutes later the dispread.exe error occured.  I shut the computer down and restarted and ran DisplayCAL again but got the same result. I then uninstalled and reinstalled it but I’m still getting the same error.

What is the issue that I was only able to cal 1 monitor and new keep getting this error?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The issue seems to be related to that particular computer. If you’re using a 3rd party antivirus, try adding exceptions for all involved programs or disable it and switch to Windows Defender instead.

Bob Domino
    Participant

I am using Windows Defender

t.g.v
    Participant

Hi there, I guess that could be another problem:

pls. locate dispread.exe, right-click properties and tick run as admin.

just my 5 cents, after last great W 10 update broke some connections. (my spyder 5 driver was reverted to the original one, not the Spyder5(Argyll). My monitor was reported as “pnp…” instead of “asus…”

regards- tg

Bob Domino
    Participant

Tried that and all I got was a flash of a screen and nothing.

Running displayCAL as admin didn’t work either

Owen
    Participant

I seem to have had an installation issue similar to #3325 and am documenting it here to help others that may encounter similar issues.

I had bought a ColorMunki Smile device and run its software on my Dell XPS 15 9560 under Windows 10.
    The software completed without reporting any errors.  However the profile it produced was unusable, with a nasty magenta tint in fields that should have been white.

I was considering returning the device but decided to try  DisplayCAL as an alternative.  I ran the installer then executed DisplayCAL.  To detect the Smile I had to tell DisplayCAL to download the device drivers.  After that  DisplayCAL could then see the Smile but kept giving the message “dispread could not be started.”    Per the advice around posting #3325 I realized I needed ArgyllCMS installed.  I located and followed these instructions.    BTW I don’t remember how ArgyllCMS arrivedup in my Downloads in the first place, maybe by way of the DisplayCAL installer.  Anyhow, I expanded the ArgyllCMS  archive to the X86 Program Files, which I think gives the Administrative priviledges mentioned in #3325, and  also put the executable in the system path per the instructions.  DisplayCAL then ran flawlessly.

Images look very natural under the new profile, and the software reports a mean delta E*76 of .19, which I believe is very good.   I conclude the Color Munki Smile is a solid calibration device but that the Color Munki  Smile software is useless for my configuration.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS