Display’s whitepoint at 8000K instead of 6500K

Home Forums Help and Support Display’s whitepoint at 8000K instead of 6500K

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ralphy4
    Participant

I am trying to calibrate my laptop screen as well as an external display for the very first time. As I have no experience with color calibration, I am very confused about many things. One of them is:

The Internet says one should calibrate a monitor to D65 (apparently that means 6500K, daylight temperature, so quite cold). DisplayCAL allows adjusting the RGB sliders of the monitor’s OSD menu before starting the calibration process.

Leaving the whitepoint setting at “as measured” and my monitor’s RGB setting at default the whitepoint is shown at something quite a bit higher than 6500K (like 7200K or so, looking warmish). Adjusting to 6500K makes it look crazy warm, not anything like daylight (I have Night Shift switched off). Similar with my MacBook Pro’s display: its whitepoint is at 8000K looking perfectly fine, like daylight).

So, is my eyesight off? Why is 6500K looking so warm? Is it my room lighting (although I tested different setups  including no lighting at all, and it all looks the same).

Vincent
    Participant

I am trying to calibrate my laptop screen as well as an external display for the very first time. As I have no experience with color calibration, I am very confused about many things. One of them is:

Tool, display model and configuration missing. For example colorimeters need a correction for each backlight type/family, without proper correction measured values are not real. Same for 10nm spectrophotometers reading some “difficult” backlights like P3 macs.

The Internet says one should calibrate a monitor to D65 (apparently that means 6500K, daylight temperature, so quite cold). DisplayCAL allows adjusting the RGB sliders of the monitor’s OSD menu before starting the calibration process.

D65 is 6500K AND daylight. Color correlated temperature says little to nothing to a display white. CCT is about blue-yellow axis, you also need to be not green or pink (daylight).

Leaving the whitepoint setting at “as measured” and my monitor’s RGB setting at default the whitepoint is shown at something quite a bit higher than 6500K (like 7200K or so, looking warmish). Adjusting to 6500K makes it look crazy warm, not anything like daylight (I have Night Shift switched off). Similar with my MacBook Pro’s display: its whitepoint is at 8000K looking perfectly fine, like daylight).

So, is my eyesight off? Why is 6500K looking so warm? Is it my room lighting (although I tested different setups  including no lighting at all, and it all looks the same).

Read above.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Ralphy4
    Participant

Thank you for your answer.

you also need to be not green or pink

My display indeed is very very greenish. I dialed down the greens with the RGB sliders on my monitor. Now it looks perfectly white. When starting the calibration DisplayCAL shows me that interactive window to adjust the RGB sliders. While red and blue are matching, green is way down. Moving green up makes DisplayCAL happy but the screen look very very green again.

I guess I misunderstand how the RGB dials work. Is there another way to get red of the green tint?

Vincent
    Participant

Tool, display model and configuration missing. For example colorimeters need a correction for each backlight type/family, without proper correction measured values are not real. Same for 10nm spectrophotometers reading some “difficult” backlights like P3 macs.

Read above

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Try to go in another way: set RGB=100% at you monitor and make a profile for 6500K (white and black levels = as measured, that means nearest possible). Make a test, sometimes white level decrease and xy white point selection are needed. This is the only way for laptop screen or AIO computer, as those don’t have RGB control bars.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS