DisplayCal with UHD 4K monitor

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal with UHD 4K monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lyne
    Participant

Hello, first time I try to calibrate a monitor at home and I am wondering if I do it right, any help would be greatly appreciated. I appologize if this is too basic for this forum.

I have a LG 32UN650-W 4K and a x-rite i1Display Studio, Windows 10. I had reset the monitor to factory defaults. I want to use it in Davinvi Resolve, with the default Color Science (Rec.709 Gamma 2.4), no output LUT.

I have a few concerns:

• Should I low down the brightness of the monitor or just leave it (then adjust the RGB controls in DisplayCal when apropriate)?
    • What Settings should I start with – sRGB, Default Gamma 2.2 or video?
    • And what Spectral Correction should I pick?

Thank very much for your great work with DisplayCal and for your kind assistance,

Lyne

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Patrick1978
    Participant

Brightness:  If you are doing stuff with video and your room is dark or dimly lit then adjust for 100 nits.  You can use the interactive adjustment step to see your current brightness and adjust till it’s a bit over 100 nits (or whatever you want), just don’t set the brightness as a calibration target. Use as measured.  If your room is bright or you don’t need super accurate color grading just adjust to taste.

Presets:  I would guess one of the video presets but I’m not sure if that’s right for your workflow.  Explain more what you are trying to do and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Correction:  You have a wide gamut LG so it’s almost certainly a PFS backlight.  There are a couple of different PFS corrections available.  The one from X-rite is a combo correction and DisplayCal has 3 separate ones that are just the data from that combo one split out.

You can search the correction database and pick a CCSS one for your display.  Then there is a button when you have a correction selected that will display the spectral response for that correction.  You can use that to compare the correction for your display to the 3 built in PFS corrections and I’d recommend picking one of those 3 that looks the closest to the user made one for your display.  Reason being is that those included ones are much higher resolution than most user submitted corrections and you really need that extra resolution for PFS displays since they have very peaky spectral distributions.  Or you could just use the combo PFS correction and let the hardware sort it out.

Lyne
    Participant

Thank you Patrick for your insightfull answers.

For the presets, I am color grading images on that monitor, to later finish the work in a studio with a projector and a broadcast monitor that will be set to Rec709 output. So I try to get as close as possible to an accurate display to acheive that, maybe the video preset  will be ok?

I will search for the correct CCSS in the database, thank you again for your assistance!

Sincerely,

Lyne

Lyne
    Participant

Hello, I cannot seem to find the CCSS for my monitor. Would you have the link to the correction database please?

Thank you!

Lyne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS