DisplayCAL/Windows – XYZ LUT or XYZ LUT + matrix?

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL/Windows – XYZ LUT or XYZ LUT + matrix?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by MW.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

James1
    Participant

All,

I’ve been using DisplayCAL to calibrate my monitor (a Dell U2414H) for a while, where the principal use of the calibration is for Photoshop CC. And that works very well.

However, a few things I’ve always been unsure about arfe at the forefront of my mind, since it’s been a while since I have done a calibration and I have recently got a new computer.

1. Previously, I had calibrated with an XYZ + LUT profile type for accuracy and that worked very well; since the computer is also used for Microsoft apps, web browsing on Firefox etc as well as PS. My question here is – is this the correct profile type to use, or should I use XYZ LUT without the matrix?

2. Part of the reason I ask the above is because I had noticed that JPEG files in Windows Photo Viewer (or indeed Photoline 21.5 – a competitor to PS) do not look the same as they do in PS – they are usually darker and with blacks that are crushed. Is this a function/issue with Windows, because colour management does not work in the same way, or is not as flexible? Would this be solved by creating an XYZ LUT profile without the matrix?

3. I have recently purchased an NVDIA GeForce 1050 Ti, and it is using the latest drivers. Reading around the forum, it appears that dithering is not (or was not) enabled by default. Is this something I should try and do, or is it nothing to worry about, since PS is the only app I need the colours to be as accurate as possible.

I am not a gamer; the computer runs Windows 10 Pro latest version and an NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Ti.

I am not sure if any of the above queries are interconnected, but would be grateful for any help or insight!

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by James1.

MW
    Participant

Ideally you use fully color managed apps to guarantee accurate colors. Windows Photo Viewer is not one so look for an alternative like XnView.
    Your main options are XYZLUT + matrix or single curve + martix. The latter will have less banding at the expense of higher color errors, how much depends on how well behaved you monitor is. Try both and run a verification report.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS