DisplayCAL W/ SpyderExpress5 Giving me weird colors…

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL W/ SpyderExpress5 Giving me weird colors…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Techlore
    Participant

Hey everybody!

I am having a lot of issues calibrating my laptop display…I have tried so many different settings from different white points…to different profile types…and even instrument LED modes.

When I use the calibration software with Spyder’s default software, everything works well…but I want to use DCAL for better control and accuracy. Anytime I am finished with the calibration process, the colors on my display have a red tint, and my grays and blacks have almost a brownish look to them…what could be causing this? I have tried messing with so many settings and I just cannot seem to get it to work properly 🙁

Some Information:

•  MSI 63VR Laptop
    • 1080P IPS Display
    • 6700k w/ 620 IG
    • GTX 1060
    • Windows 10
    • Spyder5Express

Main Uses: Work in Adobe Photoshop & Premiere.

canyon1991
    Participant

Are you still having this issue?

lovetester
    Participant

after update adobe’s apps i have this

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

lovetester
    Participant

only in camera raw window, capture one. xyz+mtx calibration on laptop hp. have any idea? ps cc 2018 use new engine with open gl >3,4 . may it be problem?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What’s your measurement instrument? Attach your profile and related files please (create compressed archive).

lovetester
    Participant

spyder 5 (express) on laptop hp 17-bs007ur  1zj25ea

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. From the measurements, it looks like this laptop is not very suitable for color critical, or any serious, graphic work – the first ten or so levels above black are clipped/crushed, the gamut is only roughly 67% of sRGB, and the black level is extremely high at around 1.55 cd/m2 (that’s ten times more than even the lowest of the low end screens on the market today, and makes me wonder if maybe the screen or the Spyder5 is defective) with only around 96:1 contrast. You can work-around the black clipping issue by increasing black point hue correction above 0% on the “Calibration” tab in DisplayCAL (a low value like 1% will suffice) and re-calibrating/profiling, but the low gamut and contrast are hardware limitations of the laptop screen that cannot be worked around. You may want to consider using an external screen for anything color critical.

lovetester
    Participant

the problem appears when calibrating it in DC in adobe applications, as well as browsers (color distortion = impossible to control color). Calibrated via datacolor app – similar result by color (but worse quality), but without problems in applications. There was something similar in the new version of the DC, because before this several years and a large number of laptops were calibrated well regardless of the quality of the laptop screen.

sorry for my google translate

so big thx for your work! I hope the problem will be solved in next upd

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I see no reason to believe this is not an isolated hardware issue. Look at these measurements:

R      G      B       X     Y     Z
    0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 1.0398 1.0486 2.0741
    1.9608 1.9608 1.9608 1.0385 1.0472 2.0732
    3.9216 3.9216 3.9216 1.0648 1.0789 2.0782

These are levels 0, 5 (1.96%) and 10 (3.92%) for gray. Especially look at the Y for levels 0 and 5. They are the same (slightly decreasing even, which is probably slight measurement fluctuation), and even level 10 is very close to level 5. This is a specific hardware (panel/electronics driving the panel) issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS