DisplayCAL Profile Loader colod handling in Remote Desktop connections

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL Profile Loader colod handling in Remote Desktop connections

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rfgamaral
    Participant

I’ve used DisplayCAL to successfully calibrate and profile my Wide Gamut monitor and I’m using DisplayCAL Profile Loader in Windows 10 to properly load (and refresh) the color profile. The color reproduction looks great, I have no complaints to the color reproduction after calibration/profiling.

However, I just noticed that when remotely accessing my PC through Remote Desktop (RDP) from my work laptop the colors look a bit washed out. I’ve been using Remote Desktop for a while with the same work laptop and home PC monitor and the colors never looked like this when accessing my PC remotely. This only started to happen after calibration/profiling.

When I access my PC through Remote Desktop, DisplayCAL’s Profile Loader shows a red circular arrow (instead of the usual rainbow circular arrow). Not sure what this means…

Is there any way I can get the colors to look a bit less washed out when accessing my home PC through Remote Desktop?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Calibration (and videoLUT in general) does not work over remote desktop.

rfgamaral
    Participant

Calibration (and videoLUT in general) does not work over remote desktop.

But how do you explain that I started to see more washed out colors through Remote Desktop after starting using DislayCAL Profile Loader?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Color managed apps running in the remote desktop session will still be color managed, but since calibration is not active, results will be incorrect.

Also, if you are using calibration on the local machine, this will of course affect the whole screen.

rfgamaral
    Participant

Color managed apps running in the remote desktop session will still be color managed, but since calibration is not active, results will be incorrect.

Is there any way to disable color management, for color managed apps, during remote desktop sessions?

Also, if you are using calibration on the local machine, this will of course affect the whole screen.

I understand, this is not my case though.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any way to disable color management, for color managed apps, during remote desktop sessions?

Check profile associations through the remote session. They might not even be available.

rfgamaral
    Participant

Check profile associations through the remote session. They might not even be available.

You’re right, it’s not available:

Tried to apply my monitor’s profile but DisplayCAL couldn’t do it with “The profile could not be installed/activated”.

However, I might just have fixed my problem…

I disabled the “Automatically fix profile associations” option and then tried to enable it again. This time, while accessing through RDP, I got popup from DisplayCAL Profile Loader asking me to be confirm if the automatically picked sRGB profile was OK for this “generic remote display adapter” and I said yes. The colors are no longer washed out, I even restarted the PC and remote logged in again and everything seems to be OK, at least from an RDP point of view. All that’s left is to check if the proper profile is being loaded by DisplayCAL Profile Loader when I’m using my PC locally with my wide-gamut monitor. I’ll check it later, once I get back home, and post back the results.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS