DisplayCal crashing at end of calibration, monitor stuck in grayscale

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal crashing at end of calibration, monitor stuck in grayscale

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

John5441
    Participant

I was using DisplayCal with a Spyder 5 Pro device to calibrate my main display (Acer Predator XB271HU 2560×1440@144Hz with GTX970).

The calibration went good until about it was 99% complete, I then got an error message, something like this: icc_get_luobj unable to locate usable conversion calibration program exited and I’ve been stuck with a greyscale monitor since..

I’ve tried resetting all color profiles (as suggested here), I uninstalled the nvidia Graphic drivers, did a clean new install of the newest drivers,  reinstalled the display drivers as well, still no change.

At a bit of a loss! Any ideas on how I can bring back colors in my life? (my setup now looks like below)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The calibration went good until about it was 99% complete, I then got an error message, something like this: icc_get_luobj unable to locate usable conversion calibration program exited and I’ve been stuck with a greyscale monitor since..

Not sure about the error, but it is not possible for a calibration failure to produce a “desaturation” effect to the point of total absence of color like you’re showing in the photo. To explain: Calibration works by adjusting the R, G, B channel 1D curves of the graphics card videoLUT hardware. So it can only change the ‘mixture’ of color channels, but cannot reduce “sauturation”/”colorfulness” to produce a grayscale image. You’re probably using some other kind of program or setting that causes the effect you’re observing, or it is some very uncommon form of hardware failure or misconfiguration (of either the graphics card or monitor in question).

Here are a few things that you can check:

• In nVidia control panel, under “Display” -> “Desktop Color Settings”, check that all color-related settings are at default, especially “Digital Vibrance” (because at a setting of “0” it would produce a greyscale image like in your photo).
    • Check your monitor’s OSD. Does it have a “greyscale” mode?

(About the calibration error, my suspicion that the display entered this “greyscale” mode during calibration, and the failure is an effect, not the cause of said decolorization)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS