DisplayCAL compatible with Dell Ultrasharp U2413, U2410, etc.?

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL compatible with Dell Ultrasharp U2413, U2410, etc.?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

michaelnorth
    Participant

Dell makes a series of Ultrasharp monitors such as the U2413, U2410, etc.

I’ve heard that Dell’s branded version of X-Rite’s software called DUCCS is the ONLY software capable of writing the monitor’s hardware LUTs.

Is that true?

Any way to use DisplayCAL for Dell monitors?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

DisplayCAL won’t be able to access the monitor’s hardware LUTs, but you can use it nevertheless. Conceivably, you could also use DUCCS to do a hardware calibration, and then use DisplayCAL to generate a profile “on top” of this calibration.

michaelnorth
    Participant

Thanks Florian,

I’m coming up to speed on how DisplayCAL, DUCCS, and my i1 Display Pro all work together.

Can you point me in the right direction for more information on the 2-step  process you mention, or provide a quick step-by-step?

I *think* I have my Dell 2413 properly calibrated and stored in the CAL1 register.  When I switch out of CAL1 mode into sRGB mode using the OSD or Dell’s Display Manager, colors shift significantly. That suggests I’m calibrating for the monitors native color space, not sRGB.

But on a day-to-day basis, sRGB is what I need.

How can I calibrate and also constrain the display to sRGB?  Feel like I’m missing some crucial point.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can you point me in the right direction for more information on the 2-step process you mention, or provide a quick step-by-step?

If you already calibrated the monitor, go to the “Calibration” tab in DisplayCAL, set tone curve to “As measured” and disable “Interactive display adjustment”. The “Calibrate & profile” button will change to “Profile only”. Use the current calibration when asked.

How can I calibrate and also constrain the display to sRGB? Feel like I’m missing some crucial point.

You can also calibrate and/or profile “on top” of the sRGB mode.

michaelnorth
    Participant

Well, at the moment, I’m not using DisplayCAL for this Dell monitor because it cannot write to the LUTs, as you pointed out earlier.  Does it need to write to the hardward LUTs to work. You seem to be saying I can use DisplayCAL with the Dell and ignore the hardware LUT capability of Dell’s software. Correct?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You seem to be saying I can use DisplayCAL with the Dell and ignore the hardware LUT capability of Dell’s software

Either that, or try the suggestion I made above.

Simone Ferrini
    Participant

Hello, i have a question on the same topic.
    I’m a new user of DisplayCal, and totally unsatisfied with Dell software calibration, wich is always greenish to my eyes.

This is what i did:

1. Calibrated the u2413 with Dell Solution, using AdobeRGB to have maximum color reproduction
    2. The monitor store the calibration in the hardawar preset “Cal 1”, but ALSO write a profile to Windows Folder.
    3. RE calibrate the monitor with DisplayCal on top of the hardware calibration following your settings above.

Now: what happens to the Dell profile written on windows folder during the hardware calibration? was just a dummy file used to tell windows to do nothing, to be able to use the hardware calibration?

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Now: what happens to the Dell profile written on windows folder during the hardware calibration?

If the Dell monitor reproduces AdobeRGB internally, then the Dell Calibration Solution would install a profile with the same primaries and tone response (basically, an AdobeRGB profile) to Windows so that color managed applications can work correctly.

Simone Ferrini
    Participant

Ok,

so DisplayCal reads, for example, the hardware corrected white balance of the monitor, and if is yellow, tell the applications to make it less yellow, in order to see a corrected white?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

so DisplayCal reads, for example, the hardware corrected white balance of the monitor, and if is yellow, tell the applications to make it less yellow, in order to see a corrected white?

That’s not generally how things work. If you set the whitepoint to “as measurted”, the calibration won’t change it. A profile basically just records what’s been measured.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS