DisplayCal and Spyder X: Cant Install Driver

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal and Spyder X: Cant Install Driver

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Devon17
    Participant

I must be doing something wrong. No matter what I try, I can not get DisplayCal to show that my SpyderX instrument is connected. I’ve tried manually installing the drivers through the device manager but Windows 10 will not give me an option to overwrite the existing driver (which appears to be a useless one from Microsoft).

This PC previously had Spyder3 software on it but I’ve uninstalled it.

Not sure what to do. Are there any fool-proof installation guides to get DisplayCal to work with SpyderX?

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

have you tried to install the driver via menu “Tools” -> “Instrument”?

Devon17
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes. But it still does not show the instrument.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it shown in device manager under Argyll libusb 1.0 devices?

Devon17
    Participant

When the instrument is plugged in, under USB Devices I only see “DataColor SpyderX”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, you’re on the wrong driver. That’s the vendor one. Use “Install Argyll instrument driver” again and attach the log.

Devon17
    Participant

Thanks. I uninstalled the Datacolor driver and was succcessful in getting DisplayCAL to work. The only problem now is that all of my whites have a blue-ish hue. Everyday pictures look fine but email and Word docs (with white backgrounds) have the blue-ish color. Not sure why but I never had this with my Spyder3. I’m not sure what to do at this point.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Did you use a suitable measurement mode for your backlight type? (likely white LED)

If your display has a very “cold” native whitepoint, then it will look blueish if your ambient lighting has a warmer hue. In that case, calibrate to 6500 K white.

Devon17
    Participant

Yes… I’m surrounded by LED recessed lights with a warm K value. I just tried your suggestion and it is much better. Thank you for all of the support. It is much appreciated.

Devon17
    Participant

Another issue… I tried to run DisplayCAL on my other PC and the software is locking up when it tries to write the profile. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Devon17
    Participant

I’m really hoping to get an answer on this since the computer that locks up DisplayCAL is my primary photo editing picture. Any support is greatly appreciated!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Devon17.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Such issues are generally caused by faulty hardware (e.g. RAM).

Devon17
    Participant

Bought new RAM and it still has the same problem. If I go to the profile loader and select Profiile Associations, and then check the box that says “use my settings for this display device” and then uncheck it, it seems to work. What could cause this?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Any number of reasons. Faulty hardware, 3rd party “security” suites…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS